cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice on getting the similar speeds out of wireless devices as wired pc?

matt8787
Grafter

Any advice on getting the similar speeds out of wireless devices as wired pc?

I'm now gladly getting speeds in the region of 70mbps on my PC.
Yet other devices, such as iphone (via wifi) are only showing half the download speed (e.g. 35mbps identified via speedtest.net).
Are there any router settings that can be tweaked to achieve similar speeds to those achieved by wired pc connection?
I recognise it won't be as fast as a wired connection - just wondering if there's anything that can be done to optimise it.
Having an iphone, laptop, tablet, PS3, TV, etc that all connect via wireless, it would be handy to know.
thanks
2 REPLIES 2
snailspace171
Grafter

Re: Any advice on getting the similar speeds out of wireless devices as wired pc?

I don't think there is much that can be done. I've tried myself.
You could maybe try changing the wireless channel.
From what I can gather, the stock plusnet router doesn't have a very strong WiFi signal so you could always think about investing in a new, non ADSL router.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Any advice on getting the similar speeds out of wireless devices as wired pc?

As well as trying another channel as already suggested, if you are using the 582n, try changing it's orientation, I've seen some posts where users have managed to get improvements.  But I'm given to understand that the wireless connection will switch to the mode (b/g/n) of the slowest device connected, maybe somebody with more wireless experience can advise.
What version firmware is running on it  - having seen your other posts I note this is being used as a Fibre Router rather than modem/router?