cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Plans On Even Faster Speeds on PN?

Grandpa
Grafter

Any Plans On Even Faster Speeds on PN?

It would appear that a company called Bethere are now offering the following over ADSL2+
Up to 24 meg download speed
Up to 2.5 meg with Upload Plus service
All for £22 a month
And unlimited downloads (With the usual  cough "fair usage" policy)
And I was wondering if Plusnet have any plans to provide a similar service.
As it would seem to me that a lot of people will migrate from their current ISPs (Which ever one they are with) to this company considering the much higher speeds and price etc.
Also is it likely that other ISPs will also offer similar speeds so as not to be left out?
17 REPLIES 17
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Any Plans On Even Faster Speeds on PN?

PlusNet use BT Wholesale IPStream products which currently only support ADSL1 8Mbs speeds. Until BT offer a higher speed PN are unable to.
They were using LLU from Tiscali Wholesale last year (which could have bneen expanded to 24Mbs) but that has now stopped and is unlikely to be restarted as Tiscali are a competitor to BT Retail who now own PlusNet.
Details on BTs ADSL2+ plans can be found here but it is looking like Q3/Q4 2008 before any mainstream faster speeds will be available. More details on TBB's website.
Grandpa
Grafter

Thanks for the info Pete.
Looks like BT had better get their finger out or they could get left behined  Grin
I can get it where I live but I have no plans of changing ISPs as I'm happy with PN.
But I must admit I do like the thought of 24m D/L and even better 2.5m U/L all for £22  Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But how many servers are able to sustain 24Mbit - most don't appear to be able to support anything close to 8Mbit speeds, even at "off-peak" times.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

VileReynard
Hero

We can expect that a lot of "my broadband is faster than your broadband" - regardless of whether it does anyone any good.
Perhaps there will be pressure on the server side to be able to serve at these speeds - perhaps by recognizing these high-value whizz-kids, presumablyat the expense of those without the souped-up networks.
Will they get their no speed limit M1?
I can (just) remember when buses used to charge up and down at 100mph - until some accident or other enforced speed restrictions.

pcoventry76
Grafter

BT are trailling ADSL2 Early next year and 21CN should solve this problem.
LLU is a different league and it does suprise me that BT are dragging their heals and yes as Grandpa states they are dragging their heals.
With Virgin Media about to buy alot of LLU kit to help out customers who cannot get cable it would be wise for BT to get moving.
It would be a shame to see the monopoliser be monopolised

James
Grafter

There's a very good article about Wholesale Broadband Connect which is the ADSL2+ product line to be offered by BT Wholesale.
pcoventry76
Grafter

which will be good if PlusNet then has the option to create packages to cater for customer needs using ADSL 2+ - the QOS is much more decent aswell over LLU
James
Grafter

Absolutely.  We can't wait to offer ADSL2+ as a product!
I can't wait to *test* it.
pcoventry76
Grafter

well i've had it at 24mb and i can recommend it to anyone - and the prices are dead reasonable aswell
James
Grafter

Our prices will depend entirely on what BT will be charging.
Bearin mind, LLU suppliers are able to use different charging models as the bulk costs for them are to actually put their own equipment into the exchange and then charge accordingly for bandwidth.  We're stuck on BT Wholesale's line rental and central pipe charging prices.
Grandpa
Grafter

Well in that case it would seem to me that if BT do not price the product competitively, then they will be well on their way to pricing themselves out of business.
kreynolds
Grafter

Mmmm....  Again no mention made of the Plus Net customers who are sat on an ADSL 2+ enabled LLU line Angry
The newest broadband product from o2 is looking very tempting especially as I would get up to 24Mb for not very much (<£10) on a staff discount and the Be kit is already installed at my exchange
VileReynard
Hero

If "up to" 24MB becomes popular, is this likely to have a beneficial or alternatively a deleterious effect on the "up to" 8MB stick-in-the-muds?

ed
Grafter

upto 24mbps realy means 16mbps stable  Wink