cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Ideas As To What Has Happened?

Jonken
Grafter

Any Ideas As To What Has Happened?

Many, many moons ago I had an unfindable noise problem on my BB line and the only way to give a reliable service was to make it a 1Mbps fixed speed service.
Now it gets strrange!
On Sunday night I briefly lost both the broadband and the landline phone (line completely dead as the proverbial dodo). When service was restored my router (Netgear DG834G v4) resynched at 3.8Mbps with 6dB noise margin. Obviously somebody did something which caused the broadband to revert back to a standard ADSLmax from the fixed speed, but unfortunately not completely.
While the router is synched at 3.5Mbps+ and appears to be really nice and stable with no dramatic changes in the SNR figure (since Sunday night anyway) the actual download speeds I can get are less than 2Mbps.
The BT speedtester reported a download speed of 1.64Mbps while the IP profile was 3.27Mbps.
Connecting to Giganews the situation is even worse, the max download speed I can get (at any time of the day or night) is around 500Kbps.
So has anyone seen this situation before?
John
8 REPLIES 8
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Any Ideas As To What Has Happened?

Sounds like BT were messing at the exchange and may have replaced a line card unless your exchange now has 21CN and you've been moved over.
When you ran the BT Speedtest was there an upload test?
Also check Current Line speed (Login required) It should match or be higher than the the BT IP profile.
Jonken
Grafter

Hey, that was a fast reply!!!!!!
I've just repested the BT speedtest and got the following results:
Download speed  1.79Mbps
Download IP profile 3.27Mbps
Upload speed 0.62Mbps
Upload IP profile 0.83Mbps
The current line speed page you gave me link for (I didn't that page existed!) tells me

Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
    2 Mb
I guess that is where the 1.6-1.8Mbps download speed is coming from. Do you know if that will automatically update to the IP profile speed over the next few days (assuming my line really is free of the noise problem I had before) or will I have to raise a ticket?
I don't think I'm on 21CN. Is there anyway in which I could tell?
Thanks for helping
John
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You are on 21CN - the upload test isn't run for 20CN lines.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

You've been upgraded, and you now need to ask Plusnet to set your Current Line speed to match the BT IP profile.
Jonken
Grafter

Many thanks to Anotherone and jelv for your very timely assistance.
It would have been nice if Plusnet could have been half as helpful and told me that something was about to change on my broadband  Sad It would have saved me a lot of time trying to work out what had happened.
Once again thanks
John
Anotherone
Champion

You should have been sent an email to the address registered in your account at the portal.
Anyway hopefully a rep will see this thread and update your Current Line speed.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It would have been nice if Plusnet could have been half as helpful and told me that something was about to change on my broadband  It would have saved me a lot of time trying to work out what had happened.

Really sorry that we didn't let you know your line was being moved to ADSL1 on 21CN, we normally do but this time some customers weren't contacted (I've addressed this internally).
Anyway hopefully a rep will see this thread and update your Current Line speed.

Done.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Jonken
Grafter

Apology accepted  Smiley To err is human and all that.
Many thanks for updating the line speed
John