cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Current Tech. Issues with broadband?

Shewrog
Grafter

Any Current Tech. Issues with broadband?

I've been trying to play both RIFT and WARCRAFT this morning, but both have been pretty much unplayable due to pings in the thousands. This is unusual.
I've been with PN for a few weeks now and had the best/most stable gaming experience I've ever had.
Are there any current issues that could cause this?
Ironically I got an email from PN yesterday confirming my line speed etc.
Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Any Current Tech. Issues with broadband?

oooh.  Not that we are aware off.    How is your webbrowsing and general downloading?  Normal speeds?
Can you do a traceroute to your WoW realm IP?
ALso, which gateway are you on?  http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Shewrog
Grafter

I'm just about to go to work, but I clicked on the link and got this:
You are currently connected to the gateway known as ptn-ag04.
This is located in Telehouse North.
I'm not great technically, but I'll be back on approx. 9PM tonight, I'll give it another go then.
Thanks
Shewrog
Grafter

Web browsing is very fast, the update for RIFT (800 meg approx) was appox. 1.5 meg a second? It was done in approx. ten minutes so fine (as far as I'm concerned anyway!)
Shewrog
Grafter

I just tried RIFT again and the ping is fluctuating from 47 ms (pretty much the steady standard) up to nearly a thousand, more, and then back again.
It has been solid for the last 2 weeks, this is what it was like with my previous provider, causing me to change to PN, and as I stated in my previous post everything has been fine the last 2 weeks so I hope it doesn't carry on!
Kelly
Hero

Ah ha!  That sounds like you might actually have a line fault which you don't often see and you've brought it with your move to us!
You're on Pro, so if it was our Traffic Management platform, it would be a much more serious problem causing this.  I'm getting Dave to run a faults check on your line.
Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

Find your wow realm on http://www.wowwiki.com/EU_English_realms_info
Open a cmd prompt, and do tracert <ip address> and paste the results to it
Then do a ping -t <ip address> and look at the time.  Does it spike at all when you are seeing the latency?
Kelly Dorset
Shewrog
Grafter

Thanks I will give it a go when I can, I tried to reply to this post at 11am but for a few minutes connectivity dropped completely, then came back within a few minutes, don't know if that is because you guys were doing something.
Any news on the line check, or is it to soon?
Kelly
Hero

Yeah you had a disconnection at about 11:

I can't immediately see any reason why you disconnected, possibly nothing to be concerned about.   I'll ask Dave about the line check tomorrow, been in meetings all day so missed the results.
edit: typo
Kelly Dorset
Shewrog
Grafter

I tried RIFT last night approx. 10PM and it was 'better' than yesterday morning, but the ping (which is displayed on the RIFT U.I.) was still fluctuating between 47 ms and around 750 ms, which doesn't have a dramatic impact on things, but is still not ideal and in marked contrast to my experience during the last 2 weeks.
I'll give this and WOW another go about 8PM this evening, everything still seems fine.
Kelly
Hero

I still suspect you have fault, or something going on in your home environment.  With Pro you just shouldn't be seeing those pings.  Make sure you try those pings and traceroutes I suggested.
Kelly Dorset
Shewrog
Grafter

OK, I will try it with WOW this weekend, Cheers.
Kelly
Hero

Are you at home atm?
Kelly Dorset
Shewrog
Grafter

No, in work, it'll be gaming tonight, and I'll try the tech stuff over the weekend. Or the tech stuff, if it's unplayable, but I'm sure that wont be the case.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just run a few checks for you and on the upside there have been no further disconnections but diagnostic checks aren't showing me any obvious issues I'm afraid.
Line faults that are affecting things like this usually display some other symptoms too, have you noticed any issues using your landline at all?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team