Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Answer Machine interfering with connection

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Answer Machine interfering with connection

Hi, 
we have just bought an answer machine and plugged it into the telephone socket using a dual adaptor, the microfilter and phone are in the other one.  That has affected the broadband connection.  Does anyone have any idea what to do or if it's not possible to use an answer phone and broadband.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
ledders

Re: Answer Machine interfering with connection

Is the answer machine going straight into a phone socket or does it go through a micro filter?
As far as I am aware, any device plugged into any phone socket needs to have the micro filter plugged in first.  This should sort the problem.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Yes, you need to change so that the microfilter is plugged directly into the telephone socket and the dual adapter is then plugged into the phone port on the microfilter. Then plug the phone and the answer machine into the dual adapter. That way both the phone and answer m/c will be filtered.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If the dual adapter doesn't fit on your microfilter (if, for example it obscures the router port) then you could install a second microfilter (for the answer machine) into the dual adapter, the critical thing being that all telephone equipment (telephones, DECT base stations, answering machines, caller display units, fax machines, sky boxes etc.) connected to the telephone line MUST go via a microfilter.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thank you very much, the adaptor doesn't fit into the microfilter so I will get another one and that should sort it.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you have a telephone extension lead you could put that between the filter and the dual adapter.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)