Sammyjammy

Another slow broadband speed post - pls reset my profile

Uptime: 0 days, 0:25:09
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 283
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 56.93 / 450.66
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.9 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 36.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.6 / 19.4. <<Surely not right?
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 17 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 57 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,952
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Cry
Here are the stats from my router, not great. Have logged a fault call but read somewhere I should post here too and request that my profile should be reset.
Tried all the troubleshooting procedures,
1 laptop - Ethernet connected to router - plugged directly into master socket, with a brand new micro-filter, straight out of the wrapper. No difference, still ridiculously slow down and upstream results.
This started on Monday night when any websites were being redirected to my router login page.
Plusnet advised me to factory reset the router and start the troubleshooting hoopla.
Factory reset restored the connection for about 12 hours then the same thing started happening again...
Then My phone line went dead for a bit but dial tone is now back...
Internet has now connected again but it's soooooo slow ... Some speedtests just fail, best result so far is 63kbps down and 627kbps up with a latancy of 106ms
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Another slow broadband speed post - pls reset my profile

You need to raise a fault - you are most unlikely to get any help here - at https://faults.plus.net
Sammyjammy

As I said, I have raised a fault call I had just heard that I could request to reset my ip profile here , the faults troubleshooter ended with a message saying they'd do some checks but an engineer visit may possibly be needed, I'm assuming if that's the case, I'll get charged for that...BT did the same thing this time last year, the whole process took over a month of trying to call them and never being called back etc. That's why I moved to Plusnet...I hope they handle this better.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You used to be able to but with the current level of support on here it is most unlikely to happen
Regarding the charge - that is only if the fault is found to be on your side of the test socket  and if you have carried out all the checks requested you shouldn't be
The reference to an engineer visit is a standard response and is unlikely to be the case if only a reset is required but the testing may show up a problem in which case it may be needed
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: Sammyjammy
That's why I moved to Plusnet...I hope they handle this better.

Hi Sammy,
A warm welcome to the forums.

Sadly you can change who you pay your bill to, but you cannot change who supplies your line or who repairs it.  You are correct that the SNRM is not right.  As implied by Jim, there is no point just resetting the SNRM (a profile reset is something quite different), it has become that much not right for some reason, which needs to be identified and fixed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line was dropping out a lot last week:

It's more stable recently but all of those drops have caused it to be banded:
WBC 288K - 576K Medium delay (INP Cool 6dB Downstream, 448 Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
I can see that when my colleague tested your line they detected a loop fault, these are often caused by equipment in the premises so we asked you to unplug your phones etc and get back to us so we can retest.
I've just retested the phone line and it's still coming up with the same fault location.
Test Result: Fail - Fault located at customer apparatus
Description: FAULT - Loop (Rectified)
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Sammyjammy

No. Sorry. The problem certainly is not rectified Chris. I have not been able to just disconnect everything and wait for someone to test the line. I've not been given any kind of timeframe as to how long I'll be expected to sit here with nothing at all connected but speaking from past experiences with yourselves and other ISPs, this could be a long wait.
Let me just put this into context for you, I work from home, I NEED to be logged in for a certain amount of time, now with the internet being cripplingly slow, I am at least connected. I want this sorted out ASAP please,
I like the pretty chart you attached, but I already know the internet was off ALL of last week, I really want it back on at the speed it normally is please, is that really too much to ask? I'll disconnect everything tomorrow morning (well technically it's today now I guess) so at 7AM on the 13th October, and lasting until you contact me, bearing in mind I have no email or phone connection, there will be no equiptment connected, please run your test then.
I am most disappointed by this, Plusnet's major USP is the supposedly great customer service but this is not what I have had, this is just like the hassle with BT or Talk Talk all over again.
Please just help me sort this out, is that really too much to ask?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry but I haven't said the fault is rectified? The message I posted was directly from the testing tool and is the type of fault detected.
At the moment we're awaiting a response from you to the message we sent you on Sunday.
Our tests show a loop on the line, which is basically a short circuit on the line. This could be a faulty piece of equipment or something breaking the loop such as something going through the line.
To rule out your equipment as the cause, we would like to see if the fault is still present with your equipment disconnected from the line.
Please contact us when all the phone sockets in the property are unplugged and if possible please remove the faceplate of the master socket which will disconnect the internal wiring. We can then retest your line and proceed with our investigation.

If you can reply to this at contactus.plus.net we can retest and continue investigating.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Sammyjammy

This is disgusting. 4 days on and still no improvement. fault ticket logged Friday night. No calls or texts to us. No visit booked. now been on hold for an hour calling customer services. this following on from a 25minute wait at lunch .
I've been requesting a visit since line tests were done on Tuesday. now I doubt I'll get one tomorrow, none available on the weekend which means this now will roll into the 3rd week without service. I am absolutely livid.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
Regarding the charge - that is only if the fault is found to be on your side of the test socket ...

This is often said, but is it correct?
My understanding is that OR don't charge IF a fault IS found on their side. Not quite the same thing. e.g. If a fault is NOT found on their side then it is charged. Can this be confirmed?
The killer is most faults seem to be intermittent faults, therefore... Sad
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's not just about when or how much Openreach charge - it is entirely up to Plusnet if and how much they charge the end user. I thought Plusnet don't pass on the full cost anyway, or at least the potential charge from Plusnet is far less than other providers.
I guess it mostly depends on what the Openreach engineer writes in their notes, so it depends on how reasonable and helpful the engineer you get is. If you're unlucky, you get something like this: https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,142674.0.html