cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another season change, another speed drop

KitFox
Grafter

Another season change, another speed drop

Another seasonal change & here I am again with rather poor connection speeds, this is becoming something of a regular occurance,
Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps) : 232  888
SNR Margin (dB) : 15.6  6.7
Attenuation (dB) : 48.0  28.9
Output Power (dBm) : 0.0  12.8
Interestingly it seems to co-incide with the BT works, I wonder did someone screw something up?  wouldnt be the first time & well as plusnet are wholly owned by BT, shouting at one is like shouting at the other
To forestall the usual rubbish, yes the router is plugged into the mastersocket / There are no noises on the voice line when you call the BT quiet line test number & No i'm not going to fiddle around connecting it to the engineer socket, as it has never made any difference whatsoever except to waste my time
16 REPLIES 16
KitFox
Grafter

Re: Another season change, another speed drop

About getting that speed profile reset to where it should be ?Huh
While we are on them atter once again, perhaps my profile would be better locked into, rather than left to the utterly stupid automated BT system that takes utter glee in lowering it during bad weather disconnects (which overnight when i'm alseep i cant really do much about) but does nothing to put it back UP again!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I would advise raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net so we can get your line checked out.
Bear in mind that if you don;t complete the checks such as connecting into the test Socket and an engineer proves that your internal wiring is the cause of the problem, charges may apply - the checks that we ask for you to do are there for good reason.
KitFox
Grafter

How about just a profile reset to the 2Mb the line is supposed to support & can in fact support as it has done so previously with no trouble whatsoever.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The line should be capable of something around 4 or 5 Mb if the 48 dB reported attenuation is accurate, although connected at such a low speed, it may well not be accurate.
KitFox
Grafter

you are kidding Ejs ?  My line has never supporting more than 2Mb total fastest speed
Hell I had to complain & whine here just to get onto the ADSL2 network and that has improved it a little but not a lot.
My problems are the cheap ALU lines BT used to conenct the village with instead of copper, which means when it gets very hot/cold, or very dry/wet the connection drops out due to the metallic changes Sad
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I was not "kidding", it was a speed estimate based entirely on the reported attenuation of 48. That attenuation figure was unlikely to be accurate. I had not reviewed all your previous threads when I posted that.
KitFox
Grafter

Ok Plusnet, right now as of the timestamp on this post it is taking an increasing long time to load these forums which are primarily just text.  took me 3 attempts to  make it this far and over 2 minutes just to make  forum response that is probably less than 10kb in total size ffs!
Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps) : 1553   859
SNR Margin (dB) : 15.8   5.9
Attenuation (dB) : 48.0   28.7
Output Power (dBm) : 0.0   12.9
I cant even load the BT speedtest website
Sort it out please
And yes  I know you only ever hear from me when there is a problem, its because when things are working fine, there is nothing to wind me up and annoy me.  Normally the service is fine & good, but the problems with seasonal changes are really starting make me think that paying fora service I cant always have isnt worth the hassle
KitFox
Grafter

Another night of rain and oh look
Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps) : 208  888
SNR Margin (dB) : 15.2  6.7
Attenuation (dB) : 48.0  28.7
Output Power (dBm) : 0.0  12.9
And its connected in the engineer socket and has bee since about midday yesterday with no change in whats happening, what a bloody amazing shock
Do I have to make a formal complaint about this to the communications regulator?Huh
KitFox
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I would advise raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net so we can get your line checked out.
Bear in mind that if you don;t complete the checks such as connecting into the test Socket and an engineer proves that your internal wiring is the cause of the problem, charges may apply - the checks that we ask for you to do are there for good reason.

Tried that - 'An error has occured & our website team will investigate shortly, please try again'
So much for raising a fault that way;
however;
1 - Line is clear & yes you can hear the dial tone
2 - no using the phone makes no difference
3 - when the connection drops the signal light blinks on my router
4 - it usually recovers on its own, occassionaly it has to be reset to get the connection back
5 - putting it in the test socket has made no difference, as i predicted
6 - my router is a D-Link DSL 2740B with the latest firmware on it
7 - The disconnects always happen when the weather changes, such as heavy rain or snow, strong winds or extremes of cold or heat.  Last night it rained haveily & this morning I can see my router has dropped out and the speed has lowered significantly
KitFox
Grafter

Bump, Bump
Not going away
KitFox
Grafter

question ID ; 92644033
but any attempt to put 'further info' at the end causes the whole thing to fail
KitFox
Grafter

If you are going to ignore this issue please say so
Then we will both know what page we are on
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Nobody is ignoring your post, the Customer Relations Team will respond to you asap. Please give them a chance to reply.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi KitFox,
Apologies for the delay in responding to this thread.
While we could well look at resetting your SNR to bring the speed back up, this would just be masking the issue and you would likely see the speed drop again within a short space of time.
By the sounds of the issue, it seems that there are some problems with the line between yourself and the exchange which are affected when the weather turns and in turn this causes the drop in speeds. As this is only the beginning of the autumn/winter weather, it sounds like this could get a lot worse so as Chris Pettitt mentioned in his post, it would make more sense the fix the cause of the problem so that this doesn't continue to be something that pops up when the weather is bad.
If you can raise a fault here and have the faults team investigate the problem you should end up with the profile being lifted along with the issue being fixed.