cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another router question.........no other similar....

Routefinder
Grafter

Another router question.........no other similar....

Hi All
I could not readily find a similar question?
I have read how good the Asus Routers are for when Fibre arrives (fingers crossed by the New Year) but I thought I would invest now in readiness in a quality Router that I could in the meantime use on my ADSL service Smiley For the record my current Netgear DG834G v4 has on the whole provided good service.
Sorry back to the question ~ what I would like is Router that can be used on Fibre but also has an ADSL2+ modem as well, so that as explained above I can configure it the way I like it and use it until Fibre arrives and once Fibre sorted simply(?) make the changes in the GUI and swap from the ADSL port to the WAN port > BTOR modem connected and then (famous last words) "job's a good 'un"
So are there any recommended such Router modems that have good Fibre WAN capability and decent wireless connectivity as well???  Cool

TIA for the user recommendations et al  Smiley
8 REPLIES 8
philosoma

Re: Another router question.........no other similar....

ASUS DSL-N55U, it is pretty good so far as ADSL modem, has a ethernet WAN port with the newest firmwares too. Won't ever get fibre where I live though to try it.. Sad
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are my three suggestions -
1) Get a unit that can do everything in one box, ADSL2 + VDSL + 3G,  such as the Vigor 2860
2) Get a combined router with ADSL2 modem, but with an ethernet WAN port for future FTTC modem, such as Billion 7800N
3) Buy your ASUS cable router, and until FTTC arrives, use your DG834 in bridge mode to create an ethernet PPPoE ADSL modem.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I try to keep things simple, so normally suggest avoiding the hassle of switching to bridge mode unless necessary Roll_eyes
In this case, I would echo purleigh's point 3 (slightly modified) Shocked Shocked
- Buy your ASUS cable router and, until FTTC arrives, use your DG834 in bridge mode to create an ethernet PPPoE ADSL modem.
as that requires no router reconfiguration when plugged into the VDSL modem
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Routefinder
Grafter

Thanks all especially purleigh & PeeGee
I have found the right "address" for opening the hidden page (some reports says the v4 does not have the page accessible but it is  Wink )  the option being Modem & Router or Modem.
Now just need to understand something?  If I switch the DG834G v4 to bridge mode (Modem only) I surmise that the Router side is simply bypassed (isolated?) in that the DHCP server in it and the MAC filtering etc is simply ignored................it is as its mode implies a dumb modem and all I need to do is change the encapsulation from PPPoA to PPPoE leaving all the other settings such as login name & password and NAT etc unchanged.  Having said that what settings in regard to password & login do I use on the new Router???
I take it that the new router would be configured to my preferences such DHCP range and fixed IP's for devices like wireless printers Smiley
So feedback in regard to the way the Netgear would be setup to run as a modem would be very welcome.  Cool
Anonymous
Not applicable

Routefinder
Grafter

Many thanks purleigh  Cool
It does seem entirely straightforward and looking at the screenshot it seems that in Modem mode the Router has a limited menu set and hopefully by making the mode change the Router based info is retained in the non volatile memory should one ever need to switch back..................though backing up the config file and making settings notes would not go amiss  Grin
Just need the time to "get ready" and make the purchase etc but right now way too busy during the day & evening with work Sad
I wonder if Routerstats will still monitor the l Router status and connection data in Modem mode???
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Routefinder
I wonder if Routerstats will still monitor the l Router status and connection data in Modem mode???

It is not impossible, but is highly unlikely with router manufacturers standard firmware.
I have been looking at various custom firmware builds for creating your own router functionality on x86 hardware, and have seen it mentioned that there are settings to allow telnet or RouterStats to bypass the router and access an ethernet WAN port connected modem - as if connected directly.
I hope to be able to let you know if that works in a few weeks time !,
although I'm planning to use my DrayTek "Vigor 120" rather than my Netgear DG834GT (bridged), as the modem.
bobboulby
Grafter

Hi Routefinder. I have a DG834G V3 and an Asus RT-N66U set-up and it works really well. There are some details in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117686.16.html
Hope this helps - Bob.