cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another power cut reduces my IP Profile... again! I'm getting mighty tired of this :(

highlandmoose
Dabbler

Another power cut reduces my IP Profile... again! I'm getting mighty tired of this :(

Bah... it smells like my IP Profile has been changed again, that said I can't actually check this as the BTW Performance Test is being dark and mysterious, but from my previous experience of IP Profile changes, it certainly feels like it.
The initial test showed me this:
Download Speed: 0.97 Mbps
Upload Speed: 0.06 Mbps
Ping Latency: 203.88 ms

And when I clicked on Further Diagnostics I got this:
Best Effort Test:
Download Speed: 0.68 Mbps
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

This isn't anything new, I've not been able to get the BTW Performance Test to give me further diagnostics for about 6 months or longer. Anyways, that's not the meat between the slices, what is bugging me out are these slow speeds. This happens to me every few months and I have to contact Plusnet support who then have to ask BT to raise my IP Profile back to 1.5 (or 2 if I'm really lucky). The culprit seems to be power cuts, and I get plenty of them living up here in the highlands. As I understand it, BT sees the power cut as a line error and reduces my IP Profile to avoid future errors. Thing is, it's not an error, my IP Profile does not need to be reduced. It just seems really silly, that BT can't tell the difference between a power cut and an error, especially since it's not just my line involved, it's the whole area.
So while I could ask Plusnet to ask BT to raise my IP Profile again and wait several days for this handshake to take place, I'm getting mighty tired of this silly runaround. Is there anyway of stopping BT's automatic IP Profile reduction? Can any other providers facilitate the IP Profile update quicker? Should I just switch to Satellite Broadband? Being out in the middle of nowhere I pay more money for slower speeds which is unfair, but I accept that, what I don't accept is when my slow speeds are reduced so much that I can no longer do my work efficiently.
Is there anything I can do to avoid this nonsense in future?
5 REPLIES 5
highlandmoose
Dabbler

Re: Another power cut reduces my IP Profile... again! I'm getting mighty tired of this :(

A nice guy named Michael on the Plusnet chat has confirmed that my IP Profile was reduced due to the power cut and has raised it again. I'll have to wait a few hours before restarting my router to get back my normal speeds, but this has been much quicker than usual. He also informed me that the DLM is dumb and can't tell the difference between a power cut or an error. That said, he says it serves a valuable purpose and that some folks who've tried to take it off have ended up with a complete loss of connection. So it looks like this is just another chore to add to the list. Take out the garbage, do the laundry, contact Plusnet to raise my IP Profile, do the dishes, mow the grass, blah de blah...
If anyone does have a solution to this, my ears are waiting for you. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another power cut reduces my IP Profile... again! I'm getting mighty tired of this :(

You could always buy a UPS for your modem / router. Money well spent if you're prone to this sort of thing.
highlandmoose
Dabbler

Thanks for the suggestion Mook, I was just looking at them a few hours ago and I'm definitely considering it, not only for the internet issues, but also for the safety of my equipment. That said, I still feel that BT should update their DLM to recognise the difference between line errors and power outs (or modem resets).
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You shouldn't need to restart your router. Assuming your router has an integrated ADSL modem, restarting it runs the risk of it re-connecting at a slightly different speed, which could trigger another IP profile change.
If your modem stats show that the ADSL connection rate is OK, and you're just waiting for the BT IP Profile and Plusnet current line speed to go back up, once that happens, all you might need to do is log in to the router, click disconnect, then click connect.
highlandmoose
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply els, I just wish I got your message before I restarted my router. Luckily though, it seems to have not caused an issue, I just did another speed test and my speed is back to normal.
Download Speed: 1.74 Mbps
Upload Speed: 0.28 Mbps
Ping Latency: 46.13 ms
Sure, I could do with a better upload speed, but it's way better than it was this morning. Thanks for all your input folks Smiley