cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another post about packet loss unfortunately.

malfunkshun
Dabbler

Another post about packet loss unfortunately.

Just noticed that I have posted this in the wrong section, if a moderator would be so kind as to correct that for me.... Smiley

hi, I apologise for my first post being a moan/request but needs must.

I have been having some packet loss issues. Due to a busy summer I wasn't doing a lot of gaming or live streaming so this has gone mostly unnoticed until a few weeks ago. At that point I bought a new router (the Technicolor one is a bit limited anyway) and checked some stats to see if the issue might be inside the home, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be 'my side'.

UDP Packet loss over 6 months to the date of this post. The plots represent daily averages each day.UDP Packet loss over 6 months to the date of this post. The plots represent daily averages each day.

As the note says, that graph shows average daily packet loss for the last 6 months and the plots are daily averages taken from a maximum of 24 hourly checks. The two day reports show higher spikes and real-time experience indicates that most of these are not the worst that I am experiencing since they are recorded not more than hourly.

I need to know what the best method of chasing this up is?

The online fault reporter doesn't appear to support anything more than drop-outs or speed issues. 

Historically, although I have no experience of Plusnets telephone support bods yet, these issues are rarely handled particularly well.

So, which method? raise a ticket online or make the call?

Edit: found another fault reporting link in a different thread so I have made a submission via that.

6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Another post about packet loss unfortunately.

Don't hold your breath.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

malfunkshun
Dabbler

chart_1479408381.png

I have been keeping an eye on the SamKnows performance stats over the last week to see how things progress. There is no good news, unfortunately. The problem is continuing to deteriorate, as seen in the above chart which shows daily averages for the last month.

The graph below shows hourly samples over the last 7 days, I have included it partly for the increased resolution, but mostly because it tells the story better. Because of how the SamKnows units take samples and show averages they don't always show the worst of the packet loss because it isn't at a continuous level.  The below graph managed to capture a nasty 25% + spike. Please, believe me when I say that this is nowhere near the biggest of the spikes that occur.

chart_1479408598.png

malfunkshun
Dabbler

I say, tentatively, that the issue appears to be in hand. 0% packet loss since 10pm on 17th (an hour or two after my previous post). The CS bod looking into the matter ran the usual test at about 730pm on the same day, which showed no issues (except with speed which I have never had, and dont have, an issue with) other than a number of session closures, which weren't me. I guess someone changed something somewhere, hopefully that is that.

Raikou

Ive got the same problem, loads of packetloss recently and i dont think its my end

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Not good Sad

We're currently investigating the reports of packet loss as communicated on our service status feed.

I also provided a brief update earlier in the thread here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

malfunkshun
Dabbler

chart_1479932829.png

Other than a blip a couple of nights ago its still all good. I will keep an eye on it for a while but so far, so good.