cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another gaming question

mehmedveli
Dabbler

Another gaming question

Well , after download speed have been sorted. Now i have terrible lag spikes when gaming.
Sometimes almost freezing. Never had that with BT.
Connections at my house  are fine.
Speedtest :
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.76 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps
Ping Latency (ms) 55,13
Ping  at different servers is between 40-55 ms. But to lotro its between 120-300 .
I know that upload speed can't affect much the gaming , but can someone confirm it for me?
Current router stats :
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 448 8128
Max Rate (Kbps) 1224 7408
SNR Margin (dB) 31 6.3
Line Attenuation (dB) 19.5 35.6
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
Asked the tech to remove the cap from upload and bring it to the max or 896 Kbps and they answer was :
Dear Mr Veli,
I'm afraid that as your local exchange doesn't support 21CN (ADSL2+) connections, the upload speed you currently have is the highest for this product.
Kind regards
Whats this? had no idea when ordering the broadband that its going to be capped to 448Kbps, i can't find this info anywhere on the product description.
Well, if this is not going to sort my lagging problem .I need info for the Add on called  :
Pro Add On
"Upgrades your service to a top-class prioritised connection, ideal for online gaming and working from home. Subject to a 1 month contract."
Is this going to help in any real way for my gaming?
And another question, Is it true that if they remove the cap from the upload , this will affect my download?
Thanks all in advance
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Another gaming question

Quote from: mehmedveli
Well , after download speed have been sorted. Now i have terrible lag spikes when gaming.
Sometimes almost freezing. Never had that with BT.

If you were previously on "ADSL Max" with BT, and the only thing that has physically changed is your modem/router, then I would suggest trying to configure your old BT modem/router with your Plusnet settings, and see whether your gaming problems are down to the inferior Plusnet modem/router.

the upload speed you currently have is the highest for this product.

Technically that is true, your upload speed is the fastest available for "ADSL Max".
However what you weren't told is that you can pay extra to upgrade your connection to "ADSL Max Premium", which will increase your upload from 448Kbps to 832Kbps, AND increase the priority of your traffic (compared to other standard ADSL customers) over the BT network.

Whats this? had no idea when ordering the broadband that its going to be capped to 448Kbps, i can't find this info anywhere on the product description.

Wikipedia - ADSL Max

if this is not going to sort my lagging problem .I need info for the Add on called  : Pro Add On
"Upgrades your service to a top-class prioritised connection, ideal for online gaming and working from home. Subject to a 1 month contract."
Is this going to help in any real way for my gaming?

Don't bother with the "Pro add-on", as this was mainly relevant to older products with traffic shaping, sold more than two years ago.
There are some specific circumstances where using the "Pro add-on" can be useful,  but it WILL NOT fix the problem you are describing.

Is it true that if they remove the cap from the upload , this will affect my download?

Well there are many and varied opinions and myths on this question !, and the answer may be dependent on something like who manufactured your telephone exchange, or some other undetermined factor.
My opinion is that in most cases the download speed will not be affected by upgrading to "ADSL Max Premium", or if it does drop at all then the loss won't be more than say 200Kbps.

I think that covers all your questions !    Wink
mehmedveli
Dabbler

Thanks Nibru.
Good info.
I am using Tp - Link AC750 Archer D2, Used it also for BT. So ts not the modem.
But anyway. I did'nt waited for answer and ordered the Add on.
I am not sure even if its active or not, but now, i don't have any lag.
Its 1 month contract so will cancel it and will see if this was the diff, or just temporary luck.
Will see the next days.
Regards
alexemmaburns
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi mehmedveli what are you gaming on? The minimum upload requirement for Xbox one is 0.50 Mbps I have alot of lag problems with plusnet that I never had with talk talk yet I'm getting 0.80mbps upload all that should have changed for me is the provider. I asked Activision support for help with lag and they said my upload is too low at 0.80 for black ops 3 which is nuts considering ADSL2+ only goes up to 1mb
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please report back on your conclusions about the "Pro add on", as theoretically it shouldn't make a positive difference, but there have been occasional reports over the years which suggest that it somehow helps - but have generally been attributed to wishful thinking !
Another possibility for causing intermittent gaming lag, would be if your exchange is congested in the evenings.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Quote from: Nibiru

Another possibility for causing intermittent gaming lag, would be if your exchange is congested in the evenings.

But then surely they should make the exchange cope with the load ? Shouldnt it be about providing the customer with a stable connection  regardless of how busy thee change is? (I don't have a clue so that response may look a little thick lol)
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is generally the case that exchanges which become congested do get upgraded (after a while) to keep up with capacity requirements.
However, there are cases reported on this forum where some of the the old obsolete 20CN ADSL exchanges are acknowledged by BT as being congested, but BT say they have no plans to upgrade the capacity, and at best might be able to move a complaining customers connection to a slightly less congested node within the exchange.
mehmedveli
Dabbler

Weel, its same exchange over the years, diff providers. Had no trouble with Tiscali, Talk Talk, Bt.
From verry begining till the end.
Laging started from day 1 till today with PN. Just trying to find the reason for that.
Will report for Add Pro. will keep close eye next days,
mehmedveli
Dabbler

Quote from: alexemmaburns
Hi mehmedveli what are you gaming on?

Hey Alex.
I am playing Lord of the rings online,
Not much needed as upload alot less than yours. My only doubt was if my daughter is using at the same time her Pc or mobile, or watching Youtube, may strain the limits.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

It is generally the case that exchanges which become congested do get upgraded (after a while) to keep up with capacity requirements.

Ah right I get you, I think my exchange is upgraded as it's the 21C or something like that, I like in a heavily populated area and wonder if my exchange is congested, although like I said only had these issues since being with plusnet so I wonder if it's something to do with their settings?

or watching Youtube, may strain the limits.

I did read today that watching you tube can throttle your upload speed especially with HD you tube videos, have you considered getting fibre?
mehmedveli
Dabbler

Quote from: alexemmaburns

I did read today that watching you tube can throttle your upload speed especially with HD you tube videos, have you considered getting fibre?

Rural area, and i am on Exchange Only line, which means, may never get fiber.I am about 2-3 miles straight line from the exchange, in middle of  woodland.
I can only dream for fiber i think.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lives out in the woods, has a rudimentary toilet, and now a fully signed-up Plusnet off-grid spoon whittler  Grin
Plusnet - Broadband That Loves You Back
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Ah bummer you never know maybe one day they will give you fibre, there is always hope Smiley
Haha Nibiru brilliant that advert always gives me a giggle.
mehmedveli
Dabbler

Lives out in the woods, has a rudimentary toilet, and now a fully signed-up Plusnet off-grid spoon whittler   Grin
Plusnet - Broadband That Loves You Back

Lol, i remember that one.
Still no problem with lagging.
But i noticed that my DSL Modulation Type was changed to Auto in some point in between the restarts or setups. So i moved it back to G.Dmt
Not sure when i done that before the Add on pro or later. So maybe that was my problem.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

What is G.DMT? I use Google DNS but unsure that's any good these days