cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another customer with ridiculously low speeds..

pengbo
Grafter

Re: Another customer with ridiculously low speeds..

Why do you think it's laughable?
I was predicted 62Mbps down and 14Mbps up.  My last speedtest kind of speaks for itself.
http://speedtest.net/result/2485264368.png
Obviously there are some extenuating circumstances in your case but to carry on the way wouldn't make me want to help you much.  It does appear that the plusnet staffers around here are made of better stuff than me Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Bright
... the BTW Broadband Availability Checker site, which can tell you what your line should be capable of on each type of service, should know whether you have copper or aluminium cable and factor that into the results.

Well yes, in an ideal world it should take the type of cable into account but does it really try to do this?  I rather doubt that.
Edzashed
Grafter

I am not trying to bump my post but just merely replying.... Cry @ Pengbo i do not want to sound awful but could you please if nothing constructive to say other than look @ my speed please leave me alone would you yourself not find it very frustrating and to say a little upsetting if i could even have a third of your connection i would be ecstatic 24 meg and 5.4 up. We have now had 5 Engineers including the one that installed me to the FTTC.. Myself and my wife came to an understanding that if we could have faster broadband then we could stream such things as it was not possible really before as  gaming used to suffer lag.. Well as there are 3 of us gaming in this house and on 10MB that is pretty damn difficult to do if you also put the measly 1 meg upload into the picture, the term bottleneck comes into play i know i sound like i am whining but then again who wouldn't...
Quote from: ReedRichards
Quote from: Bright
... the BTW Broadband Availability Checker site, which can tell you what your line should be capable of on each type of service, should know whether you have copper or aluminium cable and factor that into the results.

Well yes, in an ideal world it should take the type of cable into account but does it really try to do this?  I rather doubt that.

But then again BTOR do have the capabilities to see or at least check where they may have a problem area (aluminium cabling) the 3rd and 4th engineer told me that, that sort of cable was not designed for this generation of technology, with this in mind they should at least sort of know what they are talking about, IMHO for the property i live in it is all about trying to raise as much cash above QoS, why should i or anyone for that matter move then be told to put up or shut up but give us your cash (sorry for the abruptness no harm intended) no one should that is bullying, every little helps i do appreciate, very very much what Plusnet staff are trying to do for this case. Which is they are working tirelessly trying to get me a better service but Openreach won't budge it looks like, it is starting to look very much like i have no other option in this case but to go back to ADSL2+ (which is a sad state of affairs) and save our money as we are below the acceptable standard level for FTTC which is 15MB download and no idea about what is deemed acceptable levels for upload
Thankyou a frustrated customer.
P.S Pengbo i am so pleased you are happy with your connection that is a compliment to you and plusnets great work...
Bright
Grafter

@Edzashed
Question: What speed were you getting on ADSL2+? Sorry if you've already said this somewhere in the thread, but I can't see it if you have.
Also, do any of your immediate neighbours have FTTC broadband? If so, what speeds do they get? They should be similar to yours, assuming they are also on an 80/20 package (even if they are on 40/10 that would indicate if they are getting higher throughput than you).
From what you have posted here over the past 2+ weeks, it seems that the speed of your line has been going up and down like a yo-yo:

• 1.6 down and 3.3 up on 18 Jan,

• 17 down and 2.5 up later that day

• 15 down and 1.2 up on 24 Jan

• 21 down and 1.5 up on 26 Jan

• 19 down and 1.2 up on 27 Jan

• 15 down and 1.2 up on 1 Feb

• 14 down and 1.2 up on 2 Feb

• 12 down and 1.2 up on 3 Feb

• 11 down and 1.2 up on 4 Feb

Assuming all these measurements were taken using a PC connected to the router by an ethernet cable (and not over a wifi connection), they don't exactly suggest you have a stable line! Whether you're connected by copper or aluminium or wet string, the line shouldn't be going up and down in throughput like this. Also on 18 Jan, Adam from Plusnet pointed out that your line was suffering regular disconnections:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110982.msg951575.html#msg951575
So despite visits from 5 (?) BTOR engineers, it looks like your line has a fault which they haven't got to the bottom of yet. Rather than starting a petition, I'd be chasing Plusnet to escalate this problem!
Edzashed
Grafter

That is correct i am connected via RJ 45 which is and how i myself will always be connected, i run the the two teenagers connection through an eight port switch upstairs for all their needs, fact is it is only the wife that uses WiFi other than mobiles (god help us if we needed to connect our phones via an RJ 45). Wet string top comment, certainly made me chuckle thanks.. Yes i have someone on the job right now escalating this, they are indeed very helpful chaps had some very nice conversations, they let me know by texts and emails, it is openreach who indeed are slacking walking in my house with wet and muddy boots this is very very annoying..I am beginning to think i am a little too polite at times but i am trying to stick with it if people knew half of my other problems then they would understand (but this is not about that).. All i am trying to do is get what i was offered even half of what was offered would be very nice i just find it now frustrating seeing people say they don't get this when i don't get no where near what they do.. I am sick of it already 3 weeks of patience is running out missus has had enough of my groaning and moaning and that ain't good all over a bloody phone line...  Sad BTW i was getting 7-8 meg down and 1.1 up 450 mtrs from DP... problem aye i think so money is an issue especially digging path up or a cable pull.. Yes my next door neighbour is getting 9.14 down and 3.79 upload which is falling short too which indicates Underground issues or BT ripoff, apparently the Engineer called there tech team and even they did not have a clue.. you tell me..
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yes, it would be helpful if DCT could post an updated Connection Chart. Aluminium or not, your connection should not be going up and down like that. Is your neighbour on Fibre or ADSL?
Also, distance from the DP is not really relevant. On ADSL it the distance from the exchange that's important. On Fibre it the distance from the Cab (PCP) that's important.
Put your phone number into https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and it should tell you which Cab you are connected to.
Go and find it and see how far away you are from it using the route the cable would go.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

As an experiment, I tried the Broadband Availability Checker link provided by Anotherone.  It told me I was on Cabinet 2, but unless there is a cabinet map somewhere that isn't much help.  It also told me I could get 3 -8 Mbps downstream on ADSL2+ whereas I get 10.5.  No fibre in my area so I cannot comment further. 
pengbo
Grafter

The holly grail.  A map of BT cabinets.  There is a list of post codes served by exchanges and the cabinets they are most likely connected to that you can plot on a google map to get an idea of which post codes you would share the cabinet with.
I have done this for mine and when you look at a group of post codes the cabinet is invariably towards the side of the group of post codes nearest the exchange on a main road.  At least they are by me.  You can then go look to see if the cab has a number on it.  Unfortunately quite a lot don't Sad
Edzashed
Grafter

Firstly thank you all for your help.. I am on cabinet 7 the third engineer told me this he also quite openly told me i was going to have difficulty in achieving speeds on aluminium. @ Anotherone thank you FYI it is telling me exactly what i have already been told by speed checkers on bt site and plusnets 54.7 down and 16.3, up BTW says i can receive 20 up but 16 down, BT retail site for checking broadband speed says same as dslchecker, so as to whom and where the truth lies will be interesting i still say it's the cabling as i have maintained throughout but it is a cost thing (we all know about those groaning issues  :-X) but the rather nice people @ plusnet are really trying to help i have had confirmation that this has been escalated and they are not happy with what the engineers are telling them and frankly neither am I.. As for adsl2+ i can get between 3 and 7 meg down i was actually getting 8.4 throughput and 1.1 upload again thank you thank you.. I will  however keep you updated on this saga TBC  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, keep at it. BTw & Openreach estimates have become a bit of a joke lately and it's the poor ISP's that get the flack because of it.
Whilst Aluminium doesn't perform as well as Copper, it shouldn't be as bad as you are seeing, I suspect the cable is faulty.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Edzashed
Sorry to see that you're still having problems with this. FYI the connection is looking a little more stable than when I first looked at your issue but is still dropping fairly frequently.
Sorry too to read about the issues with some of the engineer visits. I'm going to pick through those in more detail tomorrow to make sure that's all fed back to our suppliers.
IMHO we definitely need to work on escalating this issue before even considering another engineer visit so I'll do my best to catch up with my colleague in faults (DG) tomorrow morning to make sure we have a plan in place for that.

Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Edzashed
Grafter

@ Adam stable yes @ 10 meg lol which apparently is still 5 meg below the lowest limit ( i do hope i am due a refund of some sort this is so out of character with the contract) sorry it's hilarious ( sorry touch of sarcasm).. Not your faults i know but i have been to my brother's house today lol and he is on Adsl2+ with talk talk and is getting 17.5 down boo hoo and the same speed up 1.17 bah humbug, which in turn made me feel i was really quite jealous because i pay X amount of pounds and he pays less pounds which is really laughable.. My friend's and family are asking how the service is and i am saying not good but i maintain it is not Plusnet's fault it is BTOR with the out of date rubbish, trash, utter garbage they are supplying for the nice new uber fast service need i say more and before anyone complains about my post or remove thing's please think on would you be the same as me after 3 WEEKS of bad service 5 engineer's i am sick of going on about it the wife has had enough as i stated and that is not a good sign. So they are drawing their own conclusions.. But as i do and will maintain a big thank you to the efforts of the Plusnet staff...Who incidentally i think are pretty  Cool
Edzashed
Grafter

Whats this all about massive packet loss, huge latency problems, slow fibre, Disconnections lag everywhere whilst gaming this has to stop, i never had a problem with sky it never disconnected this is really getting boring and now it's the weekend..o it just gets better and better..

[url=http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/eb8702c6495c679761f45b077859531a-08-02-2013.html][
Anotherone
Champion

Can you check Which Gateway you are on.
Do you know if you had a drop in connection around 9.00pm? Are you on a fixed IP address or a Dynamic one?
I suggest you ask Plusnet to post up your latest Connection chart (Visual Radius) which will give an idea how stable you connection has been.
It does look like a number of users will have had a drop in PPP session just before 9.00pm as seen here probably due to this
Edit: add links
Edzashed
Grafter

Which gateway
You are currently connected to the gateway known as ptn-ag01.
This is located in Telehouse North.
Yes it dropped off @ 9pm and 10.40pm