cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another constant internet drop thread

KaotiK
Grafter

Another constant internet drop thread

So i thought this was a one off for me, but tonight its not.. my internet keeps dropping every minute, for the past few weeks its been dropping once or twice in the late evening. Otherwise ive had a perfect connection for a long time so i dunno whats going on? Can someone please check my line and see what is going on? and also any ideas? thanks
Just read the service status so i could be effected by the BT maintenance? would explain maybe the drops in the past week or so also? hope thats all it is anyway!
37 REPLIES 37
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Another constant internet drop thread

Is this ADSL? If so, could you post your router stats? Are you plugged into the master socket?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Just to clarify, BT Wholesale maintenance tends to caused authentication errors rather than actual sync drops. Your line was dropping quite a lot yesterday:

It seems to have settled a bit overnight though.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
KaotiK
Grafter

System Up Time 11:42:37
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 362806 629545 0 462 21796 11:40:57
LAN 10M/100M 622939 359079 0 21840 639 11:42:33
WLAN 11M/54M 13487 10620 0 145 32 11:42:23
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7392 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 18 db 3.5 db
Noise Margin 6 db 22 db
Heres my router stats, line has been stable today, wel see if it happens again tonight.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi,
Does your router provide more detailed stats?
Your synch speed is slow for your attenuation, even for ADSL (1).  Can you check the broadband services available to you here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php - specifically does it report 21CN WBC being available?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KaotiK
Grafter

no thats not available.
xchange: Capel Curig BT Code: WNCCG
Distance:- Direct:    394 metres
  (appx)* By Road: 0.4 km
  Status
ADSL enabled: July 28, 2006
DSL Max enabled: January 1, 1970
21CN WBC (Broadband) Not available
21CN due : (PSTN) info N/A
FTTC Not available
SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
Broadband Access Market Broadband Access† Market 1
BT price band BTw Pricing Band Band
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

KaotiK,
I think something is amiss here - your are quite close to the exchange, yet you are somewhat short of the maximum speed for ADSL(1) and your SNRM is 6dB.  I think this line should be doing better.  Given that the current synch speed (7392) is right on the bottom end of one of the ADSL(1) BRAS profile, I'm wondering if the line has been "banded" - but I rather thought (from everything I have read) that "speed banding" applies only to ADSL2 (or may be more correctly 21CN services).  If your line has been synch speed limited, it might suggest that there have been high levels of errors on the line.
So back to the fundamental questions...
Can you please describe how your router is wired to the master socket and what (if any) extension there are and phone connected on extensions.
Are you using a dangling filter or is the filter built into the master socket faceplate?  If a dangling filter, can you try another one please?
Quote from: AndyH
Are you plugged into the master socket?

Please post router updated stats when plugged into the test socket.
Is the phone line noisy? Dial 17070 option 2 and listen for crackles, hums, hiss etc...
Can you do a BT Wholesale speed test - see the "speed issues" sticky post again.
If the line is not noisy, it would be worth while raising a faults report here - http://faults.plus.net - after you have tried a new filter and done the tests in the test socket.  Do you have another router you could try?  Did you get a  router from PN?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KaotiK
Grafter

My router is connected to a dangling filter then to the phone socket. Theres 2 sockets in our house, the one in my room (master socket) and the ones downstairs which has a landline phone connected to it through a dangling filter also. Last year i was having speed problems and an engineer came out and sorted all that for me. Il try another filter if i can find one, i do have a PN router aswell yea somewhere.
What speed should i be getting then? I always have good ping 20 and below.
My bt performance test : 6.66mb Download, 0.37 upload, 36 ping
Isnt that fine for my line? i didnt think i could get much more seeing as though the max is like 8mb for adsl max isnt it?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Is your router connected to the MASTER socket in your room?  I'm assuming that this where the BT wire enters your home?  Is the wire to the extension socket plugged into the dangling filter on the master socket or is it wired into the back of the master socket face plate?
With an attenuation of 18dB you should see a synch speed approaching 8128kbps.
The PN router would give much better line stats / diagnostics if you could dig it out and install it please.  Can you try it in the TEST socket and post the router stats from it.
Can you please check the "current speed" data from the PN portal - see the "speed issues" post again.

KaotiK
Grafter

Ye its connected to the master socket,  and ye thats wheer the wire enters my house.  Its plugged into the back of the master socket. Il try find the PN router if i can tommorow.

Estimated line speed:
    There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
    6 Mb
theres my current speed
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

KaotiK,
Things are a bit disjointed doing it in bits, as things can change hour to hour.
You PN profile (current speed) is a bit low against both the BTw speed test report and the router stats you provided a day or two back.  It looks like things are heading in the wrong direction.  You need to get stability - good known modem which will provide useful and meaningful stats plugged into the master socket.
Then in one step provide
- concurrent router stats
- BTw speed test results (including the profile)
- the result of the BTw further diagnostics test
- the current PN "current speed" report
Please update this post when you are able to do this.

KaotiK
Grafter

Connection dropout

Hey guys, its been happening a while now for me but i just cant figure it out! Between 9-11pm usually my connection will drop, sometimes it will multiple times, sometimes just the once. Someone mentioned it coudl be electrical interference on here before, but i cant see what that would be as it tends to happen randomly during that timeframe. any ideas?
ChrisLJ

Re: Connection dropout

Is it your actual  connection to the exchange or to your router?
KaotiK
Grafter

my router by the looks of it.
KaotiK
Grafter

connection reset sroted the buffering