cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another connection problem

coastergrotto
Grafter

Another connection problem

All through the day my connection is fine but without fail every single night I drop connection at around 9.15pm or 11.30pm with all lights on my Belkin router still on.  Sometimes my stats show I'm still connected but I can't access any pages.    I then have to reboot the router and everything is fine.
I regularly check my stats, currently my SNR is 8dB (it never exceeds this and I'm synching at 7616.  In the evening my SNR drops to 6dB and once to 5.5dB.  This is the danger period for me.
I know my wiring is not at fault so it has to be the router.  I know I can tweak the SNR from the hidden pages but I don't really want to mess about with it as I no technical whizz kid.  I spent hours searching round for a solution.      It's more annoying to me than a serious problem but it shouldn't be happening so something, somewhere is wrong.
Would a different router solve my problem and if so which one?  I'm thinking of moving from Broadband Premier down to BBYW Option 2 as I'm away from home such a lot that I don't need the 20 GB Peak time allowance.  I notice this product offers me a free wireless router so if I were to take up this offer what router would I receive and would this make any difference with regard to my loss of connection during the evening.
27 REPLIES 27
Mand
Grafter

Re: Another connection problem

Hi there,
Is there any pattern to the disconnections? Does anything change locally which coincides with the disconnections (streetlights or central heating kicking in for example)?
The new wireless router would certainly prove whether the problem is with your current router or the line.
The router we send on Option 2 is the Voyager 2091.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks Mand for your speedy response.  The only pattern that I can notice is that everynight without fail I lose the connection.  Whether I am using my wireless connection or ethernet cable it matters not.    I have also moved the router to an extension box in the kitchen but whether it is connected there or at my main BT box it makes no difference. 
I think I may as well go ahead with the change to BBYW Option 2.    My billing period starts on 19th but I'm off to Cuba for three weeks on 29th so would the router arrive before that date if I made the change today?
Exactly what do I have to do to make the change and would the £1 referral credit I have continue to be the same?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: coastergrotto
I think I may as well go ahead with the change to BBYW Option 2.    My billing period starts on 19th but I'm off to Cuba for three weeks on 29th so would the router arrive before that date if I made the change today?

Yes, it would arrive before then.
Exactly what do I have to do to make the change

Request the change here.
and would the £1 referral credit I have continue to be the same?

If the referral credit is being applied to your account then yes, this will stay the same.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks Bob.
I started doing this and then I came across a couple of points I need clarification on for example it says:
Fixed cost or pay as you go?
You are currently: Pay as you go
If you use your usage allowance, your speeds will be restricted to 128k until the end of the billing month. If you think you might use more than your allowance, simply tick this box to get extra usage at your normal speed for £1 per GB.

I'm not on Pay as you go so what does that mean.
Do I tick the box or not?  What difference will it make should I exceed my 8GB allowance.  I doubt that I will but if I tick it does that mean I can continue with the current speeds and will just be billed for the extra usage at the end of the month whereas if I do not tick it the 128k speed restriction will kick in?
I don't want to find any nasty surpises when I change as I well realise I won't be able to change back to my legacy product.      The peak hour change was my only stumbling block previously and I am quite aware of it so I want to be wise to any other problems I might encounter before signing on the dotted line.
I don't want it to be like changing my brand new Aston Martin car to Lada!!! (In my dreams!!!)

Mand
Grafter

I'm not on Pay as you go so what does that mean.
Do I tick the box or not?  What difference will it make should I exceed my 8GB allowance.  I doubt that I will but if I tick it does that mean I can continue with the current speeds and will just be billed for the extra usage at the end of the month whereas if I do not tick it the 128k speed restriction will kick in?

Exactly. Smiley
It's personal preference as to whether you select fixed or pay as you go.
There are options on either too, if you choose fixed you can always buy extra GB's as and when, if you choose pay as you go you can add the Data Transfer Watch to set a ceiling price.
God
Grafter

When I had a problem like this it turned out to be a street light about 100 yards or so away with a faulty bulb. each evening when the other lights came on it would sit and flash and I would get an unreliable connection.
I reported the faulty lamp and as soon as the bulb was replaced everything went back to normal.
It might just be worth having a look outside around the time it starts playing up to see if you notice anything odd going on.
coastergrotto
Grafter

I have another query.  Reading the set up information on the Voyager 2091 Wireless Router I notice that there are three set up options, USB, Ethernet or Wireless.
I switch between wireless and ethernet on my current Belkin Router using the same laptop with no problems whatsover, just enabling or enabling wireless as necessary.
Will I have to set up the broadband for wireless and then set it up also for ethernet?  Also will it be as simple to switch as it is now with my current Belkin router?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Will I have to set up the broadband for wireless and then set it up also for ethernet?

The router will only need to be configured to connect to Plusnet once. You will need to set up your wireless card to 'talk' to the router. Assuming you haven't manually entered the IP address of your old router in your ethernet network connection properties then you should just be able to plug your ethernet cable in without any further configuration required.
Also will it be as simple to switch as it is now with my current Belkin router?

Yes, I would imagine so.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

coastergrotto
Grafter

Interesting post God.    I was watching TV until 9pm with my computer left on.    When I went back to it at 9.05 there was no connection.
The few street lights I can see are all working perfectly but I didn't check what happened when I switched my own room lights on, however tomorrow I'm going to monitor this very carefully around this time to see if I can pin point the problem.  SNR is currently showing as 7 dB's.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Sorry to be a PITA but I have been thinking a lot about the change to BBYW.  It has always been a concern to me with regard to the increase in Peak time allowances on this service compared to Broadband Premier.
I had considered Option 2 but I might be tight at 8 Mbs so I've decided I'll go with Option 3 where I will be more than covered and also receive a superior router.
Four questions remaining:
1.  Will the router I receive be the BT Voyager 2110
2. Do I have to request the router separately.
3. I wish to keep my Static IP address so how do I go about that;
4. If I go ahead and request the change today when will it take place, bearing in mind my billing date is 19th of the month.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

1.  Will the router I receive be the BT Voyager 2110

OK, looks like I might have got a bit confused myself by this. Apparently if you're upgrading via the portal, the hardware option won't be there (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). This means you will have to raise a ticket. Normal procedure here is to send out an 1800, but if you specify that you're wanting a 2110 then we can send that instead. Once you've raised your ticket, I'm sure either me or one of the other Comms folk can pick it up for you if you post the reference in this thread.
2. Do I have to request the router separately.

See above.
3. I wish to keep my Static IP address so how do I go about that;

This should be kept by default.
4. If I go ahead and request the change today when will it take place, bearing in mind my billing date is 19th of the month.

Just before you're next due to be billed if the cost of the new package is less. Immediately if the cost is equal or greater.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks for that Bob.    Just a couple more points before I press ahead. I assume the router will be free and I just have to accept the £5.99 delivery charge (I believe that's what it is) and that will be charged via my direct debit.
Secondly how do I go about raising a ticket to order the router?
It's quite a step making this changeover because once committed there is no way back so I just need to be sure I'm making the right move.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for that Bob.    Just a couple more points before I press ahead. I assume the router will be free and I just have to accept the £5.99 delivery charge (I believe that's what it is) and that will be charged via my direct debit.

Yes the £5.99 will be taken from the credit/debit card on your account. The cost of the hardware though is deferred over 12 months.
Secondly how do I go about raising a ticket to order the router?

You can do that here. Click the link on the right that says 'Ask a Question (Raise a Ticket)'
It's quite a step making this changeover because once committed there is no way back so I just need to be sure I'm making the right move.

If there was a really serious problem following the move then we could probably move you back at a push.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks once again Bob.  Unfortunately that link to raise a ticket doesn't work.
I really am sorry to pester you but when you say
The cost of the hardware though is deferred over 12 months.

I take that to mean provided I stay on this package for twelve months the router will be free.