Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another computer with same IP

Discord
Grafter

Another computer with same IP

Yikes ??
Installed Win7 last week.  Everything seemed to be fine (apart from speed issues re current network problems).  But just got a pop up that said another computer is using the same IP address as me.
Is this a worry??  Concerns me as my neighbour came round yesterday as he has also been getting conflicts that he says is affecting his connection (he's with sky).
I have a netgear DG834gt.  My network is hidden, using WPA2 security.
Ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Another computer with same IP

This may seem an odd question.
When you shut down Windows 7 do you power off or put it into sleep mode.
The reason for asking is that when Windows & goes into sleep mode, as far as the router is concerned, it shuts down. Now on a normal shut down restart your computer gets the IP address automatically from the router.  Whereas in sleep mode it wakes up and assumes that it has the same IP Address. If, in the meantime another computer on the network has been booted up it may well have been allocated that IP address so then you have two computers with the same address.
If there is only your computer on your network then it gets a bit more tricky.
If you go into your router and click on Attached Devices is there only yours.
Alternatively you may be piggybacking on your neighbours Sky router - this is also a Netgear by the way - instead of yours.
scootie
Grafter

any clues in the LAN setup as to what ip's are being given out by the router?
my netgear started doing this after i had messed about with another router trying to WDS the two togther, my netgear was put back to its normal IP range but every comptuer on first starting would give a conflict out, they all sorted there selfs out after being on for few mins thoe.
hunted high and low in the router to find which setting i had messed up but every thing was normal, so i just address reservationed all the PC's mac adderss on the router and havent had the issue since
jim replyed with a more useful info on windows 7
Discord
Grafter

There are various "things" attached to my PC:
PC, Laptop, Wii, Boombox, DSi.  However, I use the routers "Station Access List" to control what devices can connect to the router.  I can't see anything connected that shouldn't be.
Interstingly I do tend to use sleep more than reboot.  And this message only popped up once I rebooted the router to try to get on a different gateway (damn these pings!).  I've used all the Win7 diagnostics tools for networks etc..  and nothing indicates a problem.
I am wandering if there's a some sort of conflict with next door (although he said he was conflicting with a BT Home Hub).  Ages ago, in order for me to get my logitech sqeezebox working and to get it to remember the network I had to manually assign it's IP Addresses (like 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 - one for the controller and receiver each).  Sooo, if next doors PC is using one of these IPs could this create a conflict? - even though the MAC addresses will be different.
I sense another learning curve coming on !!
Plan:
Reboot router again to see what happens
Remove all connected devices and add them back one at a time
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Discord
Interstingly I do tend to use sleep more than reboot.  And this message only popped up once I rebooted the router to try to get on a different gateway (damn these pings!).  I've used all the Win7 diagnostics tools for networks etc..  and nothing indicates a problem.
That is exactly what hit me - a router reboot while the Windows 7 PC was in sleep mode gave exactly that alarm when it came out of sleep mode. I just rebooted the Windows 7 PC and that fixed it
Discord
Grafter

A Win7 quirk then !
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not really.
Sleep mode does what is says on the tin it shuts down your computer completely except that it leaves about 1 amp powering the memory. Everything is stored in memory and when it wakes up it is as though it had never shut down. Unfortunately the attached devices - router, keyboard, mouse, printer, etc. - see it as being shut down.
One way out of it is to fix the IP address in the router but I didn't bother as it happens so rarely
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Not just W7, I've seen it a few times on older OS's.
Just "repair" the network connection to get a new valid IP, no need to reboot.  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Didn't seem to work for me - but then again Windows 7 can sometimes be too clever for it's own boots
Vip3r
Grafter

Quote from: Discord
  Ages ago, in order for me to get my logitech sqeezebox working and to get it to remember the network I had to manually assign it's IP Addresses (like 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 - one for the controller and receiver each). 

If you have to assign IP addresses manually you should put them much higher in the range say 192.168.0.200, so that other devices that get an IP address automatically don't get it in the event that the static device is turned off (or has yet to connect back to the Router after a reboot)
And/or you should have an option in the router to specify what addresses are used for DHCP, so if you want to keep the squeezebox on 0.2 and 0.3, then set the routers DHCP to start at 192.168.0.4 (On my router its under "Lan IP setup")