Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another TG582n wi-fi speed question!

washboardmac
Grafter

Another TG582n wi-fi speed question!

Hi Folks
Firstly let me say on the whole I am (was) happy with the performance of the router.  It was certainly better than the O2 IV box I had, and I'm used to the interface so got all my config stuff done ok.
But having moved to Unlimited Fibre from Essential and getting great speeds (73ish down, 17ish up) I am now unhappy since the wi-fi speed is the weak link.
I've tried all the common tricks; changing channels, horizontal/vertical placement but nothing is giving me more than 65Mbps which equates to about 38Mbps on the one device that matters - a PC that can't be hard-wired to my network.  The speed isn't bad in the scheme of things but I know it should be better.  It's using a 150Mbps TP-Link USB adapter and I've on occasion, when I've been fiddling with settings, seen it report, albeit briefly, "150Mbps" only to then drop to 65Mbps.  The router just doesn't want to go any higher.  Changing most settings in the router's GUI sees a figure of 130Mbps appear but this always drops back to 65Mbps.  The TP-Link software reports 100% signal strength (though my phone/tablet is pretty bad in another room) so is the problem with the router or just the fact that there's quite a bit of wi-fi activity in my immediate area preventing it offering a better connection?
Is it worth throwing some money at this and getting a new router?  I've been looking at a TP-Link TL-WR841N as it's only £20, but then I see a model with dual band and my phone and tablet have 5GHz capability, and then I think gigabit ports and suddenly I'm at £50.  Which will be a waste of money if it doesn't improve the 2.4GHz situation.
Yours thoughts welcome.
Andy
9 REPLIES 9
apjashley1
Grafter

Re: Another TG582n wi-fi speed question!

Might not be helpful - but whenever my iPad is on the network, NO device will connect above 65mbps. If the iPad is turned off, some devices can connect at 130mbps...
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

65Mbps is the maximum rate a N150 adapter can connect to the 582n in the router's default configuration. To get anything higher, you would need to enable SGI and 40MHz operation on the router: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#w300 - which would also increase the router's maximum rate to 300Mbps.
If you want 130Mbps without using 40MHz (taking up 2 channels, over half of the available non-overlapping channels on 2.4GHz), you need a N300 adapter.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

You may find this article to be useful too.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-esse...

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi All
Reporting back on my testing.
@zzZzz  good site, thanks.
@ejs  very useful, cheers.  I'd heard of the 20/40 switch but not sgi.
@apjashley1 good point, useful for troubleshooting.
However, nothing's actually helped.  Well not strictly true.  Making sure only WPA2 is used did help my tablet and phone a bit.  What's odd though is that if I disconnect all wi-fi devices and then change enable 20/40 and enable sgi then the unit only reports a speed of 144Mbps, never any higher.  Now I am assuming, maybe wrongly, that with nothing connected that the speed shown would be the maximum potential speed and so was expecting to see a higher figure.
So I'm still not sure it this router's at fault or if it's showing all that it can offer.
Andy
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Presumably the router automatically disabled 40 MHz operation due to the other wifi networks in the vicinity.
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi ejs
Yes that's my thinking too.  It's fairly 'busy' in the spectrum here.  4 on Ch1, 3 on Ch6, 1 on Ch7, 4 on Ch11 and 2 on Ch13 (inc me).
Guess I'll just leave it; it does work so I have no real complaint.
Cheers
Andy
ejs
Aspiring Hero

In whatever 11n mode the 582n's wifi is set to, your 150Mbps TP-Link USB adapter will only be capable of half the 582n's max speed, so you should consider upgrading your wifi adapter first.
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi ejs
Point taken.  Guess it's just too 'noisy' here for the router to give any more.
Next step will be to look at wiring in the wi-fi PC (time to get the drill out) and maybe upgrading to dual-band router for the phone & tablet.  So ditch the 2.4GHz band altogether.
Andy
stewartk80
Dabbler

i`m not using the pn router as i`m sticking with the BT homehub3. i was disappointed the PN router didn`t have a gigport. i needed the port to fly the net round my house.  is there anyway to use the pn router as wifi  Repeater using the linux firmware