Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Sync problem

silentmonkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Another Sync problem

Curious problem here.
Since Friday I have been losing sync every 5mins. I have raised a ticket and done all the usuall. I.E. Swapped modem and filters. I normally use a Solwize SAR110 connected to a server but have a spare Voyager 105 which also re-sync's every 5 mins when connected to the master socket and my laptop. So I've changed Filter and Router/Modem and computers to no avail.
Now the curious thing is the alarm log on the SAR110 shows a re-sync every 5 mins and 2 seconds without fail!
Any Ideas? I cannot see it being anything my end.
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Another Sync problem

Try leaving your ADSL equipment off and disconnected from the phone line for at least 1 hour or better still overnight.
This will completely reset the connection at the exchange and does sometime fix this kind of problem.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
This is quite an odd one.  Definitely agree with Peter's initial suggestion.  For both pieces of kit to resync every 5 minutes is indeed strange.  If it were only the one, then I would definitely suspect it being a hardware issue at your end, however, as you have tried using alternate filters and a different router, then it would suggest that this is probably not the case!
I would suggest that you pursue with the fault ticket that you have opened as it would suggest it is a problem at the exchange, possibly line card.
pcoventry76
Grafter

I had this over the weekend it lasted for a few hours then fixed itself.
I did change my modem though which helped, not sure if it was the exchange or mode.
silentmonkey
Rising Star

Ok retraced all my testing.
Shut every thing down for 2 1/2 hours. Powered backup and it too 12 mins to the first re-sync after that it is regular as clock work every 5 mins.
Removed the lan from the back of the router still the same so that eliminates my server and beyond.
Removed the face plate from the master socket to isolate my extensions and plugged another filter and USB Voyager 105 modem in to the master socket and connected directly to a laptop. Run test for 35 minutes and it disconnected and re-sync'ed every 5 Minutes on the dot during that time.
I'm progressing this via a ticket and hopefully they are about to raise a fault with BT. What gets me is normally sync issues are random this one I can set my watch by!!
joss

I’m having a similar problem in that my ZyXel P-660HW-T1 the only difference is that my modem seems to sync every 2 minutes or so. Done normal checks and have had a BT engineer visit. This has been ongoing for 5 weeks!!  Huh I even started to look at possible problems with the chip-set.
silentmonkey
Rising Star

5 Weeks  Shocked
I cannot see it being an issue with my equipment or router chip sets. Its been working fine for the last 5 years. My link is std ADSL upto 2 Mb but I only get 1Mb because of the distance from from the exchange and the 55db loss.
I must stress that this link has worked really well with very few problems over the last 5 years. This is the longest problem I've had and its up to 5 Days now.
pcoventry76
Grafter

i've just had a problem where ive come home and my adsl would not connect so ive had to repower my router and now ive lost over 1MB on my sync speed just to get the net working again
Prod_Man
Grafter

9/10 it's not the Modem that has the problem.
unless it's been violated with a curiously large object, or,
a large AC current up the Telephone pair or an unregulated/not a surger protected Power Supply.
I have had a similar experience, were a Router has been pretty much fried because of a fluctuating power supply as they are at the end of the Power lines on a Farm.
(BT use an AC current to test lines every so often, from the exchange end, hence the importance of the master socket as it has a Resistor Capacitor pair from memory)
sometimes a long lead doesn't help as the lead stretches and contacts deteriorate,
I reckon it's loosing the Carrier Signal to be honest...
Usual business -
How far are you from the Exchange?
Db loss?
Good luck with getting it sorted,
Jim,