cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Speed Related issue

Kalvera
Dabbler

Another Speed Related issue

Hello! I've been with plusnet for a long time now, and have been very happy with the service i have received!
I have noticed a large drop in my speeds this last week including off peak times (for peer-to-peer). This may be router related (i have a Belkin F5D7632-4) but i can never maintain open ports for my peer-to-peer software anymore. I used to get regular download speeds of around 200kBps, now i get around 15. My router gives me :  Data Rate Down/Up 2272Kb/288Kb.

On another note, looking on connection settings on my plusnet account, I am limited to exactly 2000 Kbps. This may be too optimistic of me, but looking around i noticed that on this link
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Bridport&exact=1707&plugin=maxdsl

says a potential 8mbps? (ok, that's probably too optimistic!)
Thank you very much for your time and patience
-Kyle
19 REPLIES 19
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Another Speed Related issue

Have you ever requested the upgrade to 8MB? http://www.plus.net/wizard/index.html?wizard_id=39
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Whilst I can't see a reason for why your speeds are running quite so low, I'd suggest trying to reboot your router and then rerunning the speedtest to see if you notice any improvement.
If you raise a ticket on your account, we can place an upgrade order to put you onto the upto 8Mbps service.
Kalvera
Dabbler

Thank you for the quick replies.
I have restarted my router several times to no avail. I will try another speed test and post the results on here when I get home from work this evening.
I have posted a ticket using the link Jelv kindly supplied (Thank you very much!)
We only have the one phone socket in the house, and the router is right next to it. Our phone line does have a bit of noise thou. Is there any additional information you would like me to give?
James
Grafter

Hi Kalvera,
If you have tried replacing your microfilter and you are still suffering from noise on your line, then I would suggest raising a fault by phoning 150.
I'll place your upgrade order once you've sorted out the noise issue.  The reason I'm holding back on this is because if there is an issue on your telephone line, the upto 8Mbps service would be more susceptible to interference than the current one.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When you contact BT about the noise don't mention ADSL (in fact some people go as far as to recommend hiding all the ADSL equipment before the BT engineer knocks at the door!).
Kalvera
Dabbler

After contacting bt (without mentioning ADSL) they report that there is nothing wrong with my line (me feeling a bit daft afterwards because it was the phone itself). It is not the router, as i have dug out my old ADSL modem (Voyager 105). I've tried the test socket as well, but no change. I'm at a loss here  Cry
James
Grafter

Bit random, but I don't suppose there's another phone you can try to see if you still get a hissing sound?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Kalvera
I've tried the test socket as well, but no change.

By that I hope you don't mean that you did not see any improvements in the results of a speed test! You need to check the speed the modem sync's at as it takes BT up to 3 days to raise your IP Profile.
Kalvera
Dabbler

Funny enough, i got my partner to get one while i was at work. It has a light hiss even when it isn't plugging into the wall. Could it be the wire? We've used the same one for the last 2 years...
It just seems strange that this has happened since we were given our new allowance for the month.
Quote from: jelv
Quote from: Kalvera
I've tried the test socket as well, but no change.

By that I hope you don't mean that you did not see any improvements in the results of a speed test! You need to check the speed the modem sync's at as it takes BT up to 3 days to raise your IP Profile.

Could my profile drop that low?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

After bad sync events you can get a stupid low IP Profile. Have you run a BT test?
Kalvera
Dabbler

BT test shows
114 kilo bits per second (Kbps)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

This is looking more like some other restriction. You haven't by any chance at some stage gone over the allowance for your account?
Kalvera
Dabbler

I have done earlier in the year, and also last month. Hence that it is odd i am still getting this restricted speed after my new allowance... wonder if that's it?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'd lay any money on it. When I looked again and saw the 128K result I twigged.
Try disconnect totally and then reconnect - e.g. reboot the router will do it.