cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Airport Extreme connection problem

danielhand
Grafter

Another Airport Extreme connection problem

Hello, I recently bought a new Apple Airport Extreme (tower version) in anticipation of a shiny new internet connection. We have just moved into a flat where there was no internet installed. BT engineer came yesterday (a different day to what was scheduled) and as I was at work, agreed to post the new master socket and modem through the letterbox. I have successfully (I think) managed to fit the new master socket and connect cables A/B to the new plate and I have connected up the modem.
Once doing that, I connect the Airport Extreme and do what others have said to do (PPoE and just enter plus net user account and password) but no joy. The modem has the DSL light green and stable, I just can't seem to get anywhere else with it. Apparently, I need a DNS server and my internet connection is non existent and I have entered the incorrect password.
Has anyone had this problem in the past and able to help me out? I opted out of the £5.99 router as I was going to use the Airport Extreme but as this doesn't work, I'm not sure whether theres a problem with the Extreme or with the connection itself.
I would like to stress that I have looked at numerous posts on forums about setting up an Airport Extreme through plus net and other providers and as far as I can see people have had problems but then resolved them.
I am a web developer so I would like to think that I know more than most and really need the internet up and running to start work again!  Undecided
35 REPLIES 35
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Another Airport Extreme connection problem

Hi danielhand,
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. I'll admit that I don't know a vast amount about Apple products. I've checked your line though and can see that the sync rate between your equipment and the cabinet is at full 80/20.
When you're going through the setup procedure, is the username you're putting in: accountusername@plusdsl.net? and your password being your Plusnet account password?
Is the Airport Extreme a Fibre Modem and Router combined?
danielhand
Grafter

Thank you for responding. I have tried myusername@plusdsl.net (obviously with my actual username not 'myusername') with and without my plus net password.
The Airport extreme is not a modem/router combination. I am still using the BT Openreach white box modem for this.
I have tried both PPoE with my plus net username and password as well as just the username on its own. I have also tried DHCP with the IP of the modem (as far as I can tell its the correct address).
There was a mention about DNS servers but when I typed in the DNS servers on the connection information on my account this made no difference but that I think is because it can't see a connection.
As far as my knowledge goes, the green light on the modem means it should work so I'm beginning to think that its the Airport Extreme that has wrong connection details somewhere.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You could be right. Is the DSL light on the modem solid green?
danielhand
Grafter

Yes, solid green.
Unfortunately, I opted out of the plusnet router so have no other means of testing the connection
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is this of any help?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5303
danielhand
Grafter

Thanks for that. I will give this a go when I am home from work but I feel that this would be connecting the computer straight to the modem and completely by-passing the Airport Extreme.
Would it be possible to get a plusnet router sent to my work address so at least I can narrow the problem down some more?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The suggestion to try with your PC connected directly to the modem is a test to narrow down the problem, not a long term solution...  If the test works then the issue is down to router config.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If we can check that you can connect directly to the modem, I'd be happy to send you out a router if that works.
danielhand
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your help. I will try and connect directly to the modem when I get home.
Am I able to PM you or email you direct if this doesn't work to arrange for a router to be sent?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep - if you drop me a PM I'll get something arranged with you.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I have tried both PPoE with my plus net username and password as well as just the username on its own. I have also tried DHCP with the IP of the modem (as far as I can tell its the correct address).
There was a mention about DNS servers but when I typed in the DNS servers on the connection information on my account this made no difference but that I think is because it can't see a connection.
Just to clarify, you should definitely be using PPPoE with your username@plusdsl.net and passsword ( the one used to access the member centre ). You don't ( shouldnt ) set any DNS server info, they will
automatically be set by the PPPoE connection when (if! ) it connects.
As suggested, checking with a direct connection will confirm that you have the correct details for the PPPoE connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

danielhand
Grafter

Ok thanks guys.
I'll reset both the modem and Airport back to factory when I get home. Try just to input the username and password in PPoE and leave the rest as it is. I presume, MisterW that it's asking for DNS servers because it can't connect and automatically establish itself?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Very likely
edit: you might find this http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5099 useful as well. Choose 'Always on' on the connection menu

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

danielhand
Grafter

Thank you.
I will have another crack at this tonight and let you know how I get on whether it be good or bad lol