Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android market issue?

saguaro
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Android market issue?

Here's an odd one: since yesterday morning I've been unable to download apps and updates from Google Play (formerly known as the Android Market) to my android phone over my home broadband, although everything else (including browsing the Play site and logging into Google accounts) worked fine. After a great deal of messing with the phone I finally tried to download the updates that kept getting stuck by using the phone's own 3G data connection and it worked fine, but I don't want to make a habit of that!
Has anyone else had this problem? Is something being blocked at the Plusnet end? Is this something where power-cycling my router is likely to help?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Android market issue?

I have a new Android Smartphone. T-Mobile Rapport (8180)
I had no problem loading apps  via wi-fi and my PN router Tuesday & Wednesday.
Browsing the Internet, and other web using apps.
However, in initially setting up the phone, even though it would connect to the router via wi-fi, it would not connect to the internet, whilst my iMac had no problems.
This was solved by unplugging the 3 ethernet cables into the router (Freesat, Freeview & SKY+HD boxes) powering down both router & phone for 5 minutes, turning wi-fi off on the iMac, then re-booting.
Once the phone connected ok to the Internet via wi-fi, the iMac wi-fi was enabled again.
This was sorted by a 45 minute (free) phone call to T-Mobile Tech person based in the States, who went through everything to sort it out.
The Smartphone was bought as a back-up to my PN BB / local power cut.
The ethernet cables remain unplugged for the moment, the phone will soon go into a drawer.
Ethernet will be plugged in for the Olympics
I was a bit worried powering down my router may affect download speeds, thankfully no noticeable decrease
>19mb/s since the 4th July, 17mb/s before.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

No problems updating from Google play here.
A reboot may help, but remember to disconnect from the routers interface before powering off your router.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
saguaro
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well, a soft disconnect and reconnect seems to have sorted it.  Just one of those things, I suppose.  Wink
Thanks!