Grafter

Android based routers!

This looks rather interesting  Cool
8 REPLIES 8
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Android based routers!

So this is to enable people to sell you apps for your router.
Most routers already run Linux, and there are various custom firmware projects, OpenWRT etc.
Finguz
Grafter

I should imagine that would depend on whether your glass is half full or half empty.
It's simply increased choice and hopefully functionality. If you don't want to buy any apps the firmware is free, and I don't see a problem with them wanting to get paid for their work?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Half of the "new features" like usb storage, printer, media server, file server, Quality of Service, mesh networking (wireless distribution system) are more like standard features, especially for a high end router with usb ports.
Finguz
Grafter

The same can be said for the features provided by the other open source firmwares which cost the same as this one ( nothing ), but they lack the ability for users to add apps/functionality should they have a desire to do so, what's your point?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The Droidfi page is claiming that usb support, file server, media server etc. are new special features of their firmware. Those features are perfectly standard features of a router with a usb port. In fact it's actually worse than that, because according to the web page, you have to subscribe to download the usb app, to add back the usb support.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: ejs
The Droidfi page is claiming that usb support, file server, media server etc. are new special features of their firmware. Those features are perfectly standard features of a router with a usb port.

That's not how I read it.
I don't think they're claiming they're new features at all, just new features they're planning to add to their current f/w.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Well perhaps, but the features list / add-ons store still seems like they couldn't actually think of any apps someone might want, so instead turned normal firmware features into apps you have to download.
Finguz
Grafter

Hehehe, I just thought I'd post the link for anyone who was in the market for a new router, if you're not interested, then it wasn't intended for you  Roll_eyes