cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And just when I thought things were getting sorted… another outage

kanda
Grafter

And just when I thought things were getting sorted… another outage

Another outage from Plusnet nearly one week after my BB connection disappeared for 12 hours resulting in me spending the best part of the day trying to sort it out on the phone. This is an absolute joke. Plusnet communication is virtually non-existent. On the infrequent occasion that my O2 broadband went down a text message told me before I even knew myself Smiley Instead I have to seek out the information, and I still haven't been told what the problem with my broadband connection last week was despite asking in writing, but my router stats appear to suggest that the line is far from stable as I have been advised.
Uptime: 1 day, 22:14:10
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 2,994
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 645.97 / 5.79
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 34.3 / 57.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.9 / 9.5
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 53 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6,060 / 2
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 27,667 / 128,027
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 136 / 2,439
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 514 / 10,634
BT Wholesale test
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.58 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 2.64 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.62Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Since disconnecting on 30/01/2015
Uptime: 0 days, 8:11:16
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 1,287
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 3.74 / 22.20
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 34.2 / 55.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.8 / 22.5
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 30 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 65,789 / 3,255
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 3 / 37
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 3 / 102
BTWholesale test
Download  Speed 1.13 Mbps

0 Mbps-1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.13 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.13 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed 0.21 Mbps

0 Mbps-0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.21Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
2 REPLIES 2
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: And just when I thought things were getting sorted… another outage

Unfortunately the outage last night affected a large number of customers, I've already replied to a couple of threads as I don't feel we were as on top of the service status communication as we could have been.
Instead I have to seek out the information, and I still haven't been told what the problem with my broadband connection last week was despite asking in writing,

Quite simply put, it's very unlikely we'd know unless we were testing the line at the time but even then it's very unlikely we could pin down the cause remotely. I can see the fault ticket is still open, so we'll carry on investigating.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: And just when I thought things were getting sorted… another outage

Hi kanda.
You don't seem to have had much luck lately and the recent stats show how things are all over the place as they had been previously and mentioned by Townman and jelv.
Now -
Quote from: kanda
....... so my general feelings are if it ain't too broken, don't bother trying to fix it.

Do you still have noise on the line? Herein lies the problem. If you still have any noise on the phone line at any time, and the stats suggest you have, then this will mess up the broadband. I hope the current ticket is addressing a Phone line fault and NOT a Broadband fault, otherwise unless you happen to get a decent engineer, he's unlikely to go and address all the potential iffy joints there may be.
The first of the stats posted above, show you had at least 6 disconnects (unless they were all reboots) either way will certainly have caused the exchange DLM to think you have a dropping connection and it's probably already raised the Target SNRM to 9dB looking at those figures.
The most recent of the stats show you rebooted but with your speed being so far down, and the SNRM also high, there was probably a lot of noise there at the time of sync.
In the meantime, assuming the stats are still the same (speed & SNRM) then if there's no noise present, the line should recover a lot of that speed with a graceful power off resync -  which means done in the following manner -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router. Stay offline for at least 10 minutes. If there's no noise on the line then power up, and if needed, login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
Assuming you haven't had a lot of recent disconnects, the method helps stop the Exchange DLM from thinking your sync loss was a dropped connection.
Keep checking your line for noise, try the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2, you may need to get a bit OCD with that if you aren't hearing noise on phone calls. If not already stated on the ticket, update it to make it clear you have problems with noise on the phone line, that it's intermittent, and that it often appears when its wet.