cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazingly slow speeds

kirstykt

Amazingly slow speeds

Hi all.
Firstly i live in a small village in the middle of nowhere so we dont get the broadband speeds you expect elsewhere.
I was with BT Internet for there fastest package i could get in my area. My neighbor was on the same as me. i changed to plusnet and she stayed on bt. A few months ago bt upgraded our local exchange and since then i have gotten REALLY slow internet while hers has gone really fast.
This is annoying as i like to play online games and cannot with this net especially as if the missus checks her facebook while im playing games the game will become so slow its not worth playing.
Any ideas on what to do. Ive included a piture to show how massive the spped difference is. It was two tests taken side by side. One connected to my net the other connected to my neighbors.
18 REPLIES 18
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Amazingly slow speeds

Sorry to see the speed is pretty low compared to your estimates.
I've submitted a request to our suppliers to try and improve this and you should hopefully start to see an increase in speed over the next day or two  Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
kirstykt

Thanks, Hopefully it gets sorted.
mav:quote
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Should be sorted now, can you try another speed test?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kirstykt

Its exactly the same  Sad
Chris
Legend

Can you try a single disconnect/reconnect of the router and try again?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kirstykt

I tried going through the only chat yesterday and the guy said there was a fault with my line and to got through the fault page with the troubleshooter. Went through it and put in the fault request But got an email this morning saying they are not going any further with it because it was being dealt with on here.
Anyway just turned it of and on like you asked and it seems to be worse??????? Before i restarted it i was getting an average of about 800-900kbps which was obviously too slow. After the restart im getting around 400-500kbps.
Chris
Legend

The reply on the fault ticket was from me, because it's not a fault. Your line was on a fixed 1Mb speed product, so yesterday an order was placed (as per Harry's reply earlier) to move you to MaxDSL (up to 8Mb/s). This order completed this morning and we've seen the connection speed between your router and the exchange increase accordingly.
Can you complete a BT Speedtest at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ - ensuring you do the further diagnostics after the first results come back. This gives us useful information to look at.
kirstykt

Heres the first one, ill run diag now.
kirstykt

Chris
Legend

Ah, so although the order has completed the profile hasn't increased yet. We've just submitted a line reset to try and sort that, it should go through within an hour or so but can take 24 hours. The good news is that when it's sorted you should be getting over 6Mb/s as your line is very very short and good quality.
kirstykt

Thank you, ill keep you updated.
kirstykt

Everything is still the same 😕
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Kirstykt,
Unfortunately the line management tools provided by BTw for ISPs to use for managing CN20 services (which is what I'm guessing you are on) can be very temperamental when attempting to reset the profile.  3-4 attempts is not uncommon.  Hopefully someone will pick this up again soon.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Thanks for the PM about this Townman, I've spoken to Tom who's on these forums and he's getting things looked into now