cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I using the best configuration (for my needs)?

SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Am I using the best configuration (for my needs)?

Hi all
My Technicolor 582n Modem/Router is connected to a TP-Link TD-W8968 Modem/Router so I can use the TP-Link for Wireless duties.
The TP-Link's  IP Address has been changed to a static IP Address and DHCP is Disabled.
All is working fine, and I only need to switch on the TP-Link when I need Wireless, but Is there a better configuration I should consider?
Would appreciate any suggestions or comments.
2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Am I using the best configuration (for my needs)?

Hi,
It depends on what you seek to achieve.  Given your description, I'm guessing you are seeking to be able to switch off wireless when you dont need it - why?  Or are you looking for 'better' wireless than that delivered by the 582n?
I assume that the 582n is the device connected to the phone line (rather than the TD-W8968)?
I also assume that you have switched off wireless support on the 582n?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Am I using the best configuration (for my needs)?

Hi townman
Switching off wireless when I don't need it can be done on either device but, IMO, the TP-Lnk does provide a better wireless experience and I only switch it on when I need wireless.
Yes, the 582n is the device connected to the phone line.
Only switched off wireless support on the 582n by way of the top/front on/off button.
I suppose I'm just thinking would it be worth setting up the 582n as a Modem only (PPPoE ?) and using the TP-Link as a Router/Wireless Router.
My guess would be no if only one or two people use the connection at the same time but yes/possibly for more than say four users.
Also would the 582n react/work noticeable faster if only using it's processing 'power' for modem duties?
I have also tried several times to setup/use my Netgear DG834GT without success and maybe using a PPPoE setting, in conjunction with the TP-Link, would be worth trying.
Looking for thoughts/opinions from you and members who know more about these things than I do.