Am I stuck with 4000mb?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Am I stuck with 4000mb?

Am I stuck with 4000mb?

Lucky you, even users on FTTP can only get 100mbps maximum! Tongue
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Visage
Grafter

Thanks Jojo ticket no 47109968
@ Jelv I agree I wondered how long it would be before some bright spark made a comment like that.
Nice sky dancer btw. Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Visage,
I'll take a look at that for you and confirm back when it's done.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, that's gone through fine. I've replied to your ticket. Smiley
Visage
Grafter

Hi a quick question,  Should my Connection range still be 1200 – 4000 during the training period? I’m seeing an improvement on the downstream but I’m not benefiting because of the 4000 cap.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If the 1200-4000kbps range you are referring to is that displayed by the BT speedtester, you can ignore that - it's only a label based on test results which BT add to set expectations better. It doesn't (directly) imply anything about limits on line capability.
The BT IP Profile does reflect the maximum download speed the line could achieve, and that will be either 88.2% of sync speed or a multiple of 500 below that (for what I assume is your sync speed) depending on whether the quantisation update is on your MSAN.
The Plusnet Current line speed will presently be a 500 multiple, and if that is significantly below the BT IP Profile it will need Plusnet to set it manually to remove that cap on your download speed.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Visage,
It'll depend on your sync rate but your connection's not banded any more. Both profiles (ours and BTs) are matching at 3500 at present. If you get a different profile reported following a BT speed test (http://www.speedtester.bt.com) let us know and we'll make sure your PN profile is set to match.
Visage
Grafter

Can you check your seeing the same as me. my speed test gives these results:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 3106 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6269 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 439 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5530 Kbps
Router results:
SNR Margin          9        23      dB 
Line Attenuation    38        22      dB
Data Rate          6269    439    kbps
But I'm still seeing a current line speed: 3.5 Mb in my connection settings. It's been like that for a couple of weeks now.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Visage,
A sync check shows you currently in sync at around 6600, though the latest profile update on the delta report side shows the latest recorded sync at 4000 so you're still on the 3500 profile at the moment. Unfortunately upping the profile on our side would make no change as things stand.
I've done a consistency check test too to make sure your profile's not showing any different at the exchange, and it's not so there's no fault there either.
The best thing given that you are in sync above that would probably be to resync the router once a day round lunchtime (best done by disconnecting from the broadband via the router's interface before powering it off and on again) as that should lead to the exchange recording the improved speed and upping the profile to match.
Hope that helps,
Visage
Grafter

Thanks for checking, I’ll do as you suggested but unfortunately I’m not around lunch times so Ill give it a go early mornings instead.
Visage
Grafter

Quick question does rebooting the router form the interface have the same affect rather than disconnecting via interface and then physically powering off?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Disconnecting from the interface will work just as well. Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Not quite accurate. Disconnecting from the router interface usually just drops the PPP session but leaves the router in sync with the exchange (not what is needed here). A reboot from the router interface will be the same as powering off as it forces a resync.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The issue is that if you don't reboot (whether from the interface or by powering off) the router doesn't resync so there's nothing for the exchange to record. Unfortunately though powering off without disconnecting first can look like a faulty disconnect to the exchange, hence why disconnecting first is important.
I suspect though that rebooting the router from the interface would cause the connection to be dropped correctly though so that will probably save time all round Smiley Must admit though I'm not 100% certain of that.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I suspect though that rebooting the router from the interface would cause the connection to be dropped correctly though so that will probably save time all round  Must admit though I'm not 100% certain of that.

Matt it works, below is a sample of disconnect followed by a "restart of The Thomson Router" all done through the webpage Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra