cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I going to be unhappy ?

jjaycee1
Grafter

Re: Am I going to be unhappy ?

I've ticked all the additional options you suggested.
What do think of the Noise margin spikes that are happening as per the attachments? Any explanation?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Considering the time of day on the graph, what is bugging me, is the Noise Margin plot in your last post is showing the average at 4dB at the start of the plot, rather than the 6dB we saw yesterday, yet there has been no change in sync speed! Has your IP profile gone up to 1Mbps by the way?
The spikes seem a bit random, so I would be making wild guesses at the moment.
The Noise Margin scale, Rx Noise Minimum value needs setting to 0 rather than 1.  Also the plots haven't got the sync speed and Noise Margin at the top - I think that's the two bottom Overlay options on the Graphs - Capture Properties tabs.
There's something horrible going on with the image size, possibly because you have quite a large screen. Instead of maximising the Routerstats window, try just grabbing the corner and dragging it out to say half screen size.
Have a tinker with RouterStats and see if you can get it to Telnet the Netgear nicely, we could have a look at the Bitloading Bits/tone graph then and see if that gives us any clues.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Thanks for your response: Cannot remember where to get the Bit info from. Have taken a smaller grab of the latest graphs. I opened the ones I sent in previous post and I can expand or reduce size when I open them from the posting. Anyway see if the attached is any better. Just prior to logging into the forum I did a BT speed test and IP profile has changed to 1mbps DL speed 0.93 which was what it was briefly on 20May. See how long my joy lasts this time, although still not up to my aol norm yet (another 30KB/s required !!)
Anotherone
Champion

Yes that size is a lot better. I can expand, but un-expanded they weren't quite clear enough, and expanded they over-filled my screen and I had to scroll all over the place  Embarrassed
You've got something very strange with your graph settings. The overlay at the top is showing the noise margin as zero, and instead of sync speed it's showing the attenuation  up and down - mind you those figures had me rushing off to look at the stats you posted yesterday the upstream attenuation reading 15.5dB is a bug I haven't seen in a long time, quite common with that vintage of Broadcom chipset - I am assuming it's a v4?
To try the Telnet, you've got to set things up on the Telnet (very RH) tab on the Configuration (Gear) icon.
Oh and I forgot to answer the query yesterday (reply #113) when you asked if the resync the day before at 1305 was possibly the phonecall taken by the answer machine - which I thought I'd said it might be - you'd subsequently changed the filter and I said mark the one you took out as suspect (just in case).
jjaycee1
Grafter

Got the Telnet thing working ! See the attachment Upstream Attenuation 31db.....is that better or worse than 15db which you say above is a bug? My router is a V3 not a V4 with Firmware Version V4.01.40
Anotherone
Champion

Well that's better, that's consistent with the downstream and previous stats.
Any luck with the Bits/tone graph? I see from the stats that the Noise Margin is still strangely at 5dB. What are the Noise Margin graphs looking like?
jjaycee1
Grafter

RX Sync this a.m. has gone down to 992kbps. So today it has been 1340, 1024 and 992. Last BT test done earlier (within last hour) showed IP profile of 1mbps still.
I just dont understand what is going on. Routerstat was not running so I dont have graphs etc.
Do I need PN to do a resync? Running out of patience although I fully appreciate I am only on PN for 8 days and Chris did a resync end of last week, but had been expecting some kind of stability by now, preferably in the higher setting and Rx Sync rate.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That screenshot shows the router's system uptime was 6 minutes. Did you reboot the router, or was there a power glitch?
The downstream noise margin is up to 9, which accounts for the lower sync speed.
Anotherone
Champion

Something has caused a resync, obviously several, and it looks as thought the Target Noise Margin has gone to 9dB. Try a Disconnect, wait a few minutes, power down, wait 10 minutes and power up again. Check the stats immediately (and post them). If the Noise Margin is showing as 9dB Downstream, then that's what's happened. This could be DLM because of the Training period which takes 10 days altogether..
jjaycee1
Grafter

Did as you suggested and now reconnected as per the below attachment:
Question: If I have resyncs during "Training" period, does each resync require another 10 days? This coming Sat/Sunday will be 10 days, so do I look at my connection details then, and have to  live with whatever is shown?
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI jjaycee1,
A couple of disconnections won't do you any harm. Your 10 days start from your first connection so any further resyncs won't change that.
Jojo Smiley
jjaycee1
Grafter

Jojo: 10 days tomorrow so what I am / was asking is will any further DLM happen after 10 days cos I have gone from IP Profile 1mbps DL 0.93 yesterday morning to IP 0.75 DL 0.83 today. The current setting is no where near the best my line has achieved in a very stable condition with my previous long term ISP, and was what started this long thread/post in the first place.
Look forward to your response. Thanks.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jjaycee1,
There's not a great deal we can do while it's in the training period. So, on Monday I'll be able to dig a bit more and see what we can do to get the best out of your line.
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Hi jjaycee1,
Your training period finishes 10 days from the last line reset, so that will be next Tuesday as the line was reset on the 19th if you remember, you had such an appalling profile at the time so the line was reset to improve that.
Unfortunately the Target Noise Margin seems to be sitting at 9dB instead of 6dB which is going to give you these slower speeds at the moment.
There is something happening that's causing more frequent disconnects than just DLM doing it's thing - this could be several things,
- a line fault having developed, which could have been present for a while, possibly intermittent, (from before you moved even) and has got progressively worse
- problems with power dips which would cause a modem/router reboot and hence a resync - this could again be a more recent development (I used to be plagued by them until I put the modem/router on a UPS)
- something different locally that is causing interference spikes, either travelling up the mains or being picked up by your line.
If you can keep Routerstats running (especially over time slots where there seems to be most problems) and post SNR graphs periodically, that may help to identify any pattern and give some indication as to the type of problem.
Have you got some recent ones showing any fluctuations?
PS. I'm guessing that  the Telnetting into the v3 isn't capable of getting the Bits/tone plots (or SNR graphs) with it's chipset and current firmware so stick to the convention http: access for the SNR (and sync plots when appropriate) and stats.
- can you check that is definitely the latest and correct version of firmware for your model? and I'll look into any other possibilities.
Oh. and just so as you don't jump on the wrong bandwagon, this is not related to your Plusnet connection, it's either line, exchange equipment or a local factor all of which as not ISP specific.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There are all sorts of things you can do if you telnet in. Bits/tone:
cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_bit_allocation_table
There's some kind of SNR per tone in /proc/avalanche/avsar_rxsnr0 (and /proc/avalanche/avsar_rxsnr1 and /proc/avalanche/avsar_rxsnr2) but I don't know how to assign units to those very raw values.
It should even possible to enable higher precision stats, but I've not tried it because it's easier to enable than disable and I suppose it might mess up the web interface.