Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I going to be unhappy ?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Am I going to be unhappy ?

Whilst I understand what you are saying about your line being the same, but conditions do change and lines can develop faults. Considering the sorts of weather we've had lately, overhead lines are especially vulnerable, so we mustn't rule that out.
I'm glad the sync has stayed at 1184, that's one good bit of news.
Let's quickly deal with the audible alarm, just leave it unchecked if you don't want it, if you leave the settings defined then on the Noise Margin plot the Blue line changes to Red when outside the limits. What would you do when the alarm went? Jump  Cheesy  More seriously, that depends on which setting has triggered it and what you are doing at the time - On occasions I leave mine running and especially if noise conditions get bad eg. if there is static/lightning about the Noise Margin may go to 0, or a power dip & you lose sync and a resync starts, now under such noisy conditions you can sync at a low speed and lose your high (relative) IP profile from which it takes days to recover on 20CN connections so your download speed is almost as bad as dial-up  Shocked  In such circumstances, unless I've RouterStats on the screen that I can look at immediately, but I also glance at the Lights on the modem/router and if a resync is in process (DSL light flashing) or Red or Power light Red (reboot happening) I have been known to pull the plug on the modem/router to stop the sync occurring but you have to be damn quick.
The Sky box - erm, well apart from the fact that some have been known to chuck out a lot of noise (to ADSL) is it connected to your phone line and if so is it connected via a filter?
Did you manage to get the Sample rate to 8 seconds OK?
Can you post  a graph or graphs of any of the Noise Margin fluctuations especially evening/overnight?
jjaycee1
Grafter

Sky box plugged into filter. Did not have PC running o/night but on for an hour or so last night & readings as per attachment Rx noise 19may 2201
plus 2 readings since PC startup this morning. All very settled but looking for improvement as you know.
Cheers for now
Anotherone
Champion

Good, that's looking pretty good at the moment, those very small fluctuations are fine, it's quite possible that the line will flatten a bit more.
If you maximise the Noise Margin window (before minimising to tray) or just going to do whatever in other windows, then when it does a Capture it will be a maximised image so detail will be more visible.
As regards the variations - as dusk approaches background noise levels tend to increase due to increased atmospheric propagation of LW-MW radio frequencies which cover the same frequencies as Broadband, so you will see a decline in the Margin and increased fluctuations in the noise margin level (sometimes this can also occur in daytime due to atmospheric changes). How much variation will depend upon cable quality, how well balanced the line is, as well as how far from the exchange and whether overhead or underground.
Yours from yesterday evening looked OK as far as it went. If you can leave it running this evening (and perhaps all night?) certainly as late as you can - mid-nightish sort of thing - we'll have a much better idea of what your line is inherently like at the moment.
The current level is good and shows there could be some scope for further improvement if things remain stable. What we don't want is large spikes and jumps in the Noise Margin that is indicative of a problem.
On the Bit loading tab, have you got a nice looking graph with lots of vertical lines where those on the left are one colour, and the larger portion on the right is another? If so, a nice screengrab, again full screen, (I don't know if you can save it on that setup) and posted would be quite handy.
You didn't mention about your mains supply, whether you tend to get spikes , dips and cuts on a frequent basis, a problem some rural supplies suffer.
maximod
Grafter

Talking of bitloading, here is mine showing reduced bitloading at tone 46, this is caused by Radio 4 longwave at 198khz.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Are you sure the old netgear router is locked to AOL? This thread says they're not.
jjaycee1
Grafter

To Anotherone: Do not know or aware of power dips so cannot comment. Regarding Bit/Tone attached is a grab of the graph I have since starting the PC a few minutes ago.
To ejs : No I cannot confirm if the AOL Netgear router is definitely locked, I just could not get connected to plusnet by simply entering the Plusnet address and my user name, and have no other idea as to what info I would additionally have to add. Any advice.?..I did ask PN via a tech ticket but I dont think the response was as complete as necessary. I would like to try it but at present reluctant to disconnect my PN router considering i am now into the 3rd day of stabilisation/testing and am seriously looking to get an improvement on the current transfer rate, which started this whole thread/post off.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Just thought I would do a BT speedtest and am surprised at the result. Both the DL speed and IP profile are the highest since I left AOL on 20 April. Don'y know if it means much but certainly going in the right direction.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
I am glad to see that we are seeing at least some improvement on your service. Your line is still in it's training period now since I performed an SNR Reset so we need to keep an eye on this over the next week or so. I'll be keeping a close on this for you. Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If, after the 10 day training period is up, and you want to try the netgear again, start by upgrading the firmware to the latest from netgear - you have a v3 judging by the 4.01.06 version in your screenshot. After the upgrade, reset it to factory defaults.
If you need the rest of the connection settings, besides your plusnet login + password, they are:
PPPoA
VC-BASED
VPI=0
VCI=38
Anotherone
Champion

My thoughts earlier were about flashing it with standard firmware, but were not going to be swapping anything about for 10 days whilst the line is training, unless there's a complete disaster.
How's the Noise Margin looking jjaycee1? also any luck with a grab of the Bitloading graph?
Edit: for some reason I missed the earlier post  Embarrassed
Because your line is in training, and your sync speed is above 1152kbps, it's picked up the 1Mbps profile already, good news, lets' hope things stay stable.
Anotherone
Champion

There's some gaps in the Bitloading graph we could do with out, which will be limiting performance. That's made me think of a couple of questions I should have asked earlier - is the filter plugged directly into the test socket - ie not via any extension leads? How long is the lead from the filter to the modem/router?
jjaycee1
Grafter

Thanks for the info ejs.
Anotherone: The filter is in the main phone socket direct, no extensions. The lead is the default length as supplied by PN and same as previous ISP supplied.
Did another BT speedtest this morning and was happy to find that it was IP 1mbps and DL was 0.93. However just done another one at 2.45pm and see that it is back to IP 0.75 and DL 0.69 .... bummer !!
Would I be correct in thinking that it may well rise again due to the current testing period. I was understandably getting to a point of "almost" satisfaction as the better speedtest was allowing me to d/l at 130KB/s transfer speed, but now I am back to 95KB/s. The connection seemed fine and stable at 1mbps so I do not understand why it has deteriorated. Any ideas?
I just need to reiterate how much I appreciate your, ejs and of course Chris' assistance to date. I was hoping to conclude, but looks like I need to wait further!
jjaycee1
Grafter

Addition to above post: Notice now that RX Sync is 1088 from a constant 1184 previously.
Anotherone
Champion

You've got some sort of problem that is causing that last resync. I presume you didn't have Routerstats running at the time so we could see the noise graph. I don't like the way that noise level is going at the moment either. Can you post the ADSL stats from the modem/router asap so we can see what they say in case another resync occurs.
Have a listen to your phone line as well - if need be run the quiet line test on 17070 option 2, but I suspect as with previous information it will be fine.
jjaycee1
Grafter

No I didn't have the PC on at all since this a.m. was watching the cricket. Attached is the DSL info from a few minutes ago. Should I "disconnect" from router via the Router option?