cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I going to be unhappy ?

jjaycee1
Grafter

Am I going to be unhappy ?

After many years with AOL a recent price rise made me change to BT. After 3 weeks with BT I have joined PN. My reason is that with AOL I was getting a stable download transfer speed of 162KB/s using a download manager. Proof is in attachment "Netgear status" showing a Download connection speed of 1300kbps (divide by 8=162.5 KB/s) It has been as high as 1600kbps.
BT set my profile at 0.75(750kbps) and I was only getting 95KB/s transfer rate. Complained for 12 days only to be told it was the best my line could handle. NOT true as seen by the details shown on the "Netgear status" attachment. They said they could do nothing, so I left them and have just started with PN as of 16May. I fully understand i am now going through a 10 day stabilisation period, but am still only getting 95KB/s transfer speed. I am prepared to be patient for a further 8 days but am having serious doubts that PN will be able to be any better than BT.
My line speedtests show as per attachments "speedtest" taken over 3 days that absolutely concur with the type of transfer speed I was getting and am capable of getting. I understand Stability testing but do not accept my settings can not be set much higher, after all if I use the logic that 750kbps is stable then surely 600 or 500kbps would be even more stable !
I would like PN to increase whatever it is that needs increasing to allow me to get at least what AOL supplied. Is this possible or will I get a wait and see, or "it is on maximum already" response?
Many thanks
341 REPLIES 341
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Am I going to be unhappy ?

As a start please post the full stats from the router - click on Show Statistics at the bottom of the router page
Moving from BT to Plusnet will not usually start a 10 day stabilisation period
jjaycee1
Grafter

The router status I showed was from my AOL router which was  replaced by a BT Homehub3 and now a PN Technicolor 582n. Are you asking me to connect my Netgear router (I think it is locked to AOL) to show you the rest of the router status. I believe what it is not showing is details of my aol wireless ssid etc.
Please clarify..thanks
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

No, we'd like to see the current stats off the Technicolor please.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jjaycee1
Grafter

Is this what you want, or any additional stats?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You are going to be unhappy as with that attenuation you aren't going to see much, if any, improvement
You could try the test socket (behind the removable lower part of the master socket) to see if there is any improvement but I would be surprised if there was much change
One difference between this and AOL is that AOL was probably LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) and so doesn't have the IP profile system which for that sync rate is 750kbps on 20CN and 987kbps on 21CN
jjaycee1
Grafter

My exchange is Pembridge and is not LLU. It is ADSL & DSL Max, as it was with AOL. This is what I cannot understand as to how I was given the speed I have shown to you for so long when absolutely nothing has changed except the router & ISP. It just does not make sense and no-one seems able to tell me why including the technically knowledgeable. I just seem to get the same kind of replies like, it is the distance you are from the exchange, you are getting the max etc. Well I know I am not getting the max capability. Treated as though I am telling fibs ! My copy of my Netgear router stat shows 1300kbps, can anyone explain that to me. I just want to understand.
By the way it was PN who told me I definitely would be having a 10 day stabilisation period. This was after I questioned the need since BT did not do one and told me it was not necessary since I was swapping ISP and had broadband for a long time.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Different routers will perform slightly better or worse than others - if the netgear DG834G was a v1 v2 or v3 it may have performed slightly better since it contains chips from the same company as what is in the equipment at the exchange (TSTC, shown in the stats from the Technicolor router).
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Looking at that exchange you are on 20CN (21CN isn't available) so there wouldn't normally be a training period when moving from BT although Plusnet may have initiated one to get the best out of the line.
However, if the attenuation is reported accurately and isn't just the maximum the router will report then you should get better speeds.
Can you try the test socket and see what the results are.
One thing a Comms Team Member can do is run a check from their side which should give a better idea of the actual attenuation.
Something happened between the 15th and 16th May to badly affect your speed and I suspect that because of the training period the default noise margin started at 3dB and then increased to 6dB hence the speed drop
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

At the time you recorded the stats from the TG582n the downstream noise margin was 6.7dB. If you had restarted the router at that point it is possible that the connection speed might have increased to 1152kbps or more (assuming your target noise margin is 6dB) giving you an IP Profile of 1000kbps.
That is the same value as BT's DLM would assign for the AOL connection speed of 1312kbps. Due to the way the DLM works it might have taken 3 days for your IP Profile to change but once it had (and Plusnet's Current line speed had caught up) you should have seen download speeds equivalent to those from AOL.
David
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Right here's the problem.
Your Line Rate at the moment is 250K and I'm also seeing a LOT of errors on your upstream, so it may be a good idea to try an alternative microfilter (swap it for an alternative). Your loop loss is 63.5 which is very long but your speeds are poor regardless. If you'd like to swap the filters over, I'll run another check and see if that has cleared things up Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

@spraxyt
The router had only been synched for about 94 minutes so it is very unlikely that the speed would improve
jjaycee1
Grafter

I tried the Test socket about 10 minutes ago and did download test. It was at 30KB/s ! I have now gone back to the proper socket and still 30KB/s, so I have lost 60KB/s by testing.
I will, right now, replace a filter as of 19.55hrs and restart my PC.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Okay, let me know once you have the alternative filter in and I'll run a few more tests for you Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Speed tests are meaningless - we need the router stats in the various configurations