cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being taken for a ride??

mleo5880
Dabbler

Re: Am I being taken for a ride??

...i am properly confused now.... having done a few more test plugged in to my router now the speed seems fine, but as soon as i unplug the laptop from the router, i enable wireless on my laptop and move 6 ft into my lounge the speed drops right down again.... Angry
mleo5880
Dabbler

update --- tried changing channels on my router all 13 channels with several speed tests on each channel, no difference... 2mbps approx, whilst wired i was getting averages of 13mbps....
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

WiFi speed tests are always hard to be consistent, and much will depend on what else is being broadcast in your area, as well as the spec of your laptop WiFi network card.
Splitting the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels and renaming the 5Ghz one, just add 5 to the SSID will help you know how you are connected however from what you have said it sounds like you are connected to the 2.4 channels. Check also in the advanced settings/wireless that you are using the highest speed Wireless Interface Type.
Downloading and using "SSIDer" or other similar WiFi channel monitoring software will help you work out the least congested channel.
Hope this helps, feel free to ask further questions.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Mustrum, that's the 2704n he's got there, no 5GHz channels Wink
@mleo5880, as Mustrum has implied (beat me to it) it's likely to be a wireless issue.
You can dowload the last of the Free versions of inSSIDer from here.
One thing I think you should do is make sure you have the latest wireless drivers for your laptop, just in case there is some incompatibility issue between it and the 2704n.
By the way, when you are changing wireless channel etc, I hope you aren't rebooting the 2704n every time?
mleo5880
Dabbler

@ anothertone -- no, not rebooting the router every time
as i was having no joy i put it back on auto.... i just checked my wireless drivers and adaptors and it seems i have the latest ones and are functioning correctly..... only having had broadband for 2 weeks for the first time in my life to me it seems pointless having a good speed at the router if i cannot replicate the speed on wifi. is plusnet expecting me to buy an impractical 10 mt ethernet cable so i can use it in the lounge (this will not help me when using it upstairs etc.....  Cry
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Quote from: Anotherone
@Mustrum, that's the 2704n he's got there, no 5GHz channels Wink

Ooops, well spotted, sorry. I have a 2704n in the garage, but never even turned it on.
That said, I have never got on with the basic routers that ISP's supply, for ADSL the BT Business Two Wire HGV2700 provides a much more stable connection, and good WiFi performance, still available on that well known auction site for not much money.
mleo5880
Dabbler

hi guys, i downloaded the ssid program.  it was telling me to change channel to 11 which i did (funnyly enough my neighbours were on that channel with bt) but it made it worse.... so i took it back to auto and it went back to 1-2mbps.... im a complete novice and not able to really undertand much more.....   
@ mustrum  do you think buying a better router will help? and I was wondering whether it would be a case of just swapping it over or if it involved modifying settings ect , as well do there companies like plusnet lock their broadband to their router somehow (like mobile phone companies)?
thanks
Mustrum
Community Veteran

@mleo5880 the good thing about PN, is that you can use your own router. Whether it will make a difference is hard to say, and will depend on your laptop.
The good things noted from all the posts above is you have a really good ADSL connection. What we don't know is how good your laptop is when on wireless.
You could let us know what model it is, or you could try it with other wireless connections.
John_Essex
Grafter

It definitely looks as though there is a problem with your laptop seeing the wireless signal from the router if you move into the lounge.
Are you putting thick walls between the router and your laptop when you move into the lounge?
It may be worth trying to relocate your router to improve the wireless signal which will slow things down as the signal gets less.
Anotherone
Champion

@mleo5880 don't worry about being a complete novice either.  Such a shame that you are having such a poor experience so far with your first venture ii broadband.
Which channel did inSSIDer suggest was the quietest?
Before considering buying another modem/router we should try and check this out as best as possible to rule out things like other interference.
Do you happen to have an android smartphone?
What's the make and model of the laptop? Someone may have a bit knowledge or experience with it.
Whilst the 2704n is not renowned for its wireless performance,  it shouldn't be as bad as you are describing.
Do you know anyone with an unlocked modem/router that you might be able to borrow?
Try rotating the 2704n through 45 degrees or so, see if you that makes any difference.
Anotherone
Champion

@John_Essex - good grief, the Legend himself. As you may appreciate I've only heard of you by reputation. I wasn't ignoring you with my previous post, I was on a mobile and as you probably appreciate it can be tricky modifying a post you've virtually completed. If I've understood a post of yours correctly - welcome back  Wink
John_Essex
Grafter

good grief, the Legend himself.

Got to admit that I have not been at all active on the forums for a few years and its good to see that they are as well used as they were when I was a moderator here.  Smiley
Hopefully I may be able to spend a bit more time here and throw in my now limited knowledge (things have moved on a lot over the last few years)
Hope mleo5880 gets his problems sorted and this is certainly the right place to get help from.
mleo5880
Dabbler

hi all, when clicking on page 2 of my post i am getting this message in red
The site ahead contains malware
Attackers currently on www.johnessex.plus.com might attempt to install dangerous programs on your computer that steal or delete your information (for example, photos, passwords, messages, and credit cards).
John_Essex
Grafter

Attackers currently on www.johnessex.plus.com might attempt to install dangerous programs on your computer that steal or delete your information (for example, photos, passwords, messages, and credit cards).

Just to keep everyone up to date here I have removed all files from the htdocs folder and from the ccgi space on my account and also changed passwords. It's very odd because I haven't used johnessex.plus.com for a few years now having registered a domain of my own with another hosting company.
So if there was a file that had been corrupted it's now gone.
Anotherone
Champion

@mleo5880
That warning is undoubtedly historical, I wouldn't worry about it. I found Firefox blocking it with the warning as per the attachment to this post. It had blocked John's avatar, which is all that is on the site. I didn't see that earlier as I wasn't using Firefox!
@John_Essex
You'll probably want to pursue that with whoever to get the warning removed.
Edit: this link may help https://www.stopbadware.org/firefox?hl=en-GB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.johnessex.plus.com%2F