cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being restricted by BT?

nevetsecirp
Dabbler

Am I being restricted by BT?

I have joined Plusnet earlier this year, the changeover from TT was smooth, however my speeds are slightly slower than when with TT. I went through all the fault diagnosis internally within the house with TT prior to changing, but basically couldn't increase the speed. Modems where changed, filters checked, plugged into master socket, removal of ring wire etc
I currently am averaging 0.8mb
I have then been talking to some neighbours who all report they are getting around 4mb, so I have looked on the BT website and samknows and found they all have a better rating from BT.
We all live on a fairly new estate (13 years old) and connected to same exchange, but for some reason My connection seems to be restricted, can anyone help.
Below is the details of my information, along with direct neighbour and some houses 4 - 10 houses away, which I presume should all be on the same wiring circuits up to the estate, but only the cable into the house would be different
Mine
You are connected to the Belper telephone exchange.
ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 0.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection.
Standard ADSL RAG results
You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You cannot receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512kbps ADSL
You can receive 256kbps ADSL
You are approximately 1.94km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!
However, there is another service on your phone line (e.g. ADSL, LLU, DACS, etc) that would prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection.
» Your BT ADSL code is: REGEGEC
Neighbour – 5 houses away on BT
According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 3Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.
You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You are approximately 1.94km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!
» Your BT ADSL code is: GEGEGEC
Direct Neighbour on LLU Orange
According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 3.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.
You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL
» Your BT ADSL code is: AEGEGEC
Neighbour – 10 houses away on Plusnet
According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 4.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.
You are approximately 1.89km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer
» Your BT ADSL code is: GEGEGEC
Neighbour 4 doors away
BT ADSL broadband availability
According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 4.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.
You are approximately 1.91km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!
» Your BT ADSL code is: GEGEGEZ
38 REPLIES 38
James
Grafter

Re: Am I being restricted by BT?

Hiya,
For starters, you're definitely not 1.91km from the exchange as the crow flies - you have a downstream attenuation of 56dB which suggests in the region of 3-4km.
Your speed could be a reasonable amount higher, possibly in the region of 3Mbps.  you mention that you are using the master socket - are you able to unscrew the faceplate and connect the filter to the test socket behind it?
nevetsecirp
Dabbler

Thanks for the prompt response
I am currently working away from home, and not able to do anything until friday
However as mentioned all these tests were completed with TT and the attentuation did not change much from around 53db, whether in test socket or on extension lead.
The BT test states I cannot get more than 0.5mb which surely means they are restricting the line at their end.
I know I am now with Plusnet, but I don't really wan't to go through all the testing again to proove nothing wrong with internal wiring etc
If no other choice then I will plug modem in test socket on Thursday night.
cheers
James
Grafter

Hi,
Usignt eh test socket should eliminate the problem being with the internal wiring.
I don't think it's a BT restriction, otherwise your speeds would probably be even slower Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A hint to the diference is that you neighbour is on LLU Orange, and you Might have been on TT LLU, they are a completely different animal to PN ADSL and use a different technology
nevetsecirp
Dabbler

We were not on TT LLU as it is not available in the exchange
The only LLU provider in the Belper Exchange is Orange
If you look at the information for other neighbours who are on non LLU equipment either with BT or Plusnet you can see they are getting better advised speeds, I am not implying they get these speeds, although they say they do
If BT are not restricting me, and it is prooved that there is minimal effect from my internal wiring what else can it be?
cheers
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do two different type of test.
what is your PN profile https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
do a BT speed test - the throughput speed is a bit suspect on that test http://www.speedtester.bt.com/  the username is the one that is in your router ie username@plus.......
do a http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ test
nevetsecirp
Dabbler

Pierre Pierre
Thanks for your interest
I am currently working away from home, and can't do any physical checks until Thurs pm/Fri
However here is the information from PN
Phone exchange:
BELPER
Estimated line speed:
0.5 Mbps - Checked on 2009-03-25 15:30:10
Current line speed:
I was aware of the estimated speed when I Joined, but was told it would probably be quicker than this, which it is at 0.8mb, but it is still less than the 1.4mb I was getting with TT and less than I think I should be getting on my neighbours performance
I will complete the other tests Thursday/Friday and also plug Modem into test socket and let you know(unless I can talk wife through it)
Still interested in what we think is problem, if not BT Restriction or House Wiring? to give these set results from BT
cheers
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not my forte but you will get asked about your router stats,  so what router do you have, then you will be advised how to get the stats
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If it is a Thompson from Plusnet you get them here http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0 otherwise check here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
It's much more likely to be an internal wiring issue than a BT restriction, but if you can give us your line stats as Oldjim pointed out above we'd be able to give you a better idea of where to look.
sipart

I was going to post a new thread (and I still might) - but picked up on this as I am in Belper and I have also noticed a slow down over time this year:
I use thinkbroandbands speed tester and log the results. I started the results when signing up for plusnet (was on Virgin dsl for year before, before that MAAF).
Roughly a year ago I got between 2.5Mbps upto 5.5Mbps. It settled down to an average of 3Mbps but could still get higher at times. But recently I get nothing over 1.3Mbps (I use an app on my Ipod Touch as well to test more often now - so obviously results aren't in my TBB stats). The app works well and I have tested it on other peoples DSL and the results are accurate.
My upload speed has always been pretty much 0.4Mbps as expected.
I am certainly not happy with the slow down - but not sure if it is Belper Exchange/BT issue or PlusNet. I pay for the priority IP service so was expected a consistent service - but do realise the difference between prioritising traffic and speed are completely different things.
Info from PlusNet
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
Did a BT speed test last night and this just clarified the 1.3Mbps speed I currently get.
BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Belper telephone exchange.
According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 7Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.
You are approximately 1.14km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!
ROUTER connection detail:
DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 7616 kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 11.0 dB (Downstream) 24.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 33.0 dB (Downstream) 20.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.7 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)
Going to try direct connection on master socket with front plate off before posting fresh thread.
Cheers
nevetsecirp
Dabbler

Thanks for the updates all
As previously mentioned, the reason I believe I am being restricted is that I went through all the internal wiring diagnostic issues when was with TT, and couldn't get it better than 1.4mb this immediately dropped to 0.8mb when transferred to Plusnet. All the neighbours I have spoke to get a min of 3mb according to Samknows and I only get 0.5mb.
I am using a new router not the one supllied by Plusnet and have been done a  speed test a few times
I am not able to access the router etc yet as working away.
Thursday eveing/Friday I will do a speed test and post router settings with my current set up
I will then move router and plug it in to master socket and repost speed test and router settings, I will then leave router plugged into Master socket until interogated etc, and await further feedback
thanks for help so far
cheers
James
Grafter

Thanks Smiley
Can you give me a shout once you're in the master/test socket and I'll run another line test?
Also - Have you tried using another router?  If we haven't sent you one, I'll be happy to do so in order to see whether or not it makes any difference.
nevetsecirp
Dabbler

I will let you know when all set up etc
I have a collection of routers I can try, as trying to resolve the issue with TT
I have a new one I think its Belkin, and also the new one Plusnet sent still in box, so I can try all of them and post the settings
cheers