cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being hacked?

moob
Grafter

Am I being hacked?

My broadband went down yesterday. The light on the router was red. I called support and they tried to get me back online even with connecting via the openreach modem, and nothing worked. While we were going through the various checks, I noticed my login and password were changed in my router. I changed it back, but still couldn't get connected.
I tried again 2 hours ago, and connected . However , after about an hour, it kicked me off again, and I again tried to connect and noticed my password had been removed and a section of my login the plusdsl.net part.
I've now re-entered it and am back online.
5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Am I being hacked?

I doubt you are being hacked, but, there are several things you could do as a precaution.
First of all though, did the login you first saw look something like tr069@plusdls.net? That's the default autoconfiguration setup where you'd wait about 15 minutres for it to contact Plusnet's AutoConfig Server when it would then insert your username and password for you - so nothing to worry about there.
When you say your Broadband went down, do you know what the cause may have been - did you have a power dip for example, were you moving anything around and disturb any leads etc.?  If the Modem and/or the Router loses power or connection to one another or the Line, even once the Modem has resynced and all the lights are green, you may have to wait 8 minutes (at present) for the stale PPPoE Internet session to timeout, before you can successfully try connecting again.
Should you ever wish to disconnect the Router for any reason, Log into it first, and go to the Internet box, and click on the Disconnect button. This drops the PPP(oE) Internet session to Plusnet. Wait about a minute, you can then power down the Router. Later when you power up, you log in and click Connect to establish a new session.
Don't disconnect or power down the Modem without Disconnecting in the Router and powering it down as above. After a minute you can power down the Modem but it's best to leave it off for an hour if you do that. And similarly don't reboot the Modem unless it's absolutely essential, powering down is a better option.
Back to the security precautions. Log in to the Member Centre to change your password. Having done that whilst you are logged in, go to the Plusnet Firewall and set it to Low, it's probably off at the moment unless you've been here and turned it on before.
Log out of the Member Centre and make sure you can Login to the Member Centre again with your new password. If for some reason you can't (or your old one) ring Support and explain what happened.
The new password will also apply to your Primary Plusnet email address, so you may need to change it in any email client you may have set up eg. Outlook (Express) or Mozilla Thunderbird etc.
Now Login to the Router (this password is unchanged and is as on the card that came with the Router) go to the Internet box and click Disconnect. Then delete your old password, enter the new one and click Connect.
It is possible that the minute you change the password at the member centre and log out, your Internet session may be automatically dropped, in which case come and login to the Router and change your password first of all.
By the way, if you want to Gateway hop you login to the Router, click Disconnect, wait about 30 seconds and the click Connect.
You can check which Gateway you are on at any time.
HTH.
moob
Grafter

Thanks very much for taking the time to type that detailed reply.
The login wasn't the one you posted, I can't recall exactly , but it definitely wasn't that one.
Will change password etc and check back later.
Once again cheers.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If the username in the router changes again can you keep note of what it's changed to? I've done some line tests but the only username that it's showing is your one.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Just a thought but ..
Being as the username and password appears in a browser window could the browser 'saved data' be populating it in error ?
Also apps like Kaspersky Password Manager or Norton's ID Vault, etc
Let's be careful out there !
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yep, that's a good point, clear the browser caches and any password saving.