cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Router

glenn27

Alternative Router

Hi all, first post from me! my question is does anyone out there have any experience or guidance they could offer re an alternative router that could replace the Technicolour one supplied for use with PlusNet fibre broadband. I ask this question as the majority of the feedback re the Technicolour router is negative. I hope someone can help. thanks in advance glenn27  Smiley
23 REPLIES 23
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Alternative Router

I used a Netgear N300 with no issues as a replacement, until I got the trial router I am using at the moment.
glenn27

Thanks for the prompt response. was thinking of netgear myself but one with 'ac' for a bit of future proofing.
greshoff
Grafter

I am using a Billion 7800dxl which has been fine so far. I have only been with Plusnet for about a month, time will tell
mwerle
Grafter

Are you FTTC or FTTP?
If FTTC there are a couple of (expensive) options for an all-in-one:
* DrayTek has a range, I used the 2750Vn for 2 years (it's developed a fault and DrayTek declined to repair it 2 weeks out of warranty; I'm now looking for an alternative as the 2750Vn does not support Multi-NAT properly as their older ADSL2+ routers did.  Apart from that, excellent)
* FRITZ!Box 7390 (no personal experience, but the closest I have found (on paper) to the DrayTek one)
Cheers,
- Micha.
glenn27

FTTC so alternative router needs to be suitable for this. Again thanks for the responses.
dragon2611
Grafter

I would say an EdgeRouter Lite, but if I'm honest actually that's probably not suitable for most people given it only has 3 ports and no Wi-Fi.
It's also not the simplest thing to setup but in terms of it's flexibility and configuration capabilities it makes most routers in the same price range look like toys.
It also lacks a modem so would need to be used in conjunction with an external modem, which is no problem if you had openreach install FTTC as they would have usually supplied a separate modem.
PLan
Grafter

I also like the EdgeRouter Lite, but the fact you're asking for advice suggests you probably aren't the kind of person who's looking to edit router config files ... Wink
A very popular router is the ASUS RT-N66U, it's what I use(currently in access point mode). You just connect it to the Openreach modem and enter your details.
leader
Grafter

Draytek, Ubiquiti   Undecided
May as well give firebrick a mention  :))
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Given that PN is part of BT - I wonder why they havent used their standard range of routers - that I assume are despatched from the same warehouse in Northallerton ?.
At least offer it as an alternative to the Technicolor gateway ?
The Home hub 5 seems fairly new - and has 802.11ac wireless:
so I wonder if anyone here uses it >>>
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-home-hub-5-90RY.html
glenn27

Was thinking of the Home Hub 5 but not sure if it has to be 'unlocked/altered' to work on plusnet fibre, any one using this device on plusnet. Again thanks for the feedback so far.
glenn27

re alternative router is it advisable to use the PlusNet supplied device until the 10 day settling in period has been reached? Glenn27
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

One of my colleagues uses a HH5 on his Plusnet fttc. Works fine, no unlocking required. Can be used with or without the BT modem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: glenn27
re alternative router is it advisable to use the PlusNet supplied device until the 10 day settling in period has been reached? Glenn27

This 10 day period is a myth (for FTTC).
After 2 days the cabinet will have established initial DLM parameters, after this it's 'business as usual'.  The router plays no part in the DLM or 'settling period' anyway unless you use one with a built in VDSL modem.
What is advisable is to keep the Plusnet router as a 'spare' in case of any fault.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
leader
Grafter

Another option could be Tomato or Gargoyle compatible router.  {Openwrt if you feel brave} Smiley