Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Router Options?

SONiQz
Dabbler

Alternative Router Options?

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to know if there are any good alternatives to the TG528n. There isn't anything overly negative about the Technicolor, however I've noticed that the 100mbps connection is a bit, well slow, and  I want to improve overall throughput and Wireless connectivity. There are a few caveats, it needs to be able to work with a Vodafone Sure Signal v2 and it needs to be compatible with Youview Multicasting. I have tried a Home Hub 5 which works fine with Youview but the Sure Signal is a cop out. I'd also like to do away with the Openreach Modem. It's not a big issue, but it's just another device chewing electricity...
Now the kicker, don't want to be spending Draytek money. £200 for a home Router is a bit more than my budget would stretch to, in fact I'd be cringing at £100....
Any idea is a good idea.
6 REPLIES 6
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Alternative Router Options?

Your options are fairly limited for a VDSL modem/router for less than £100.
I would have suggested the Home Hub 5, but you've already tried that so that one isn't much use.
You might be able to pick up an Asus DSL-N66U for less than £100 soon.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

As Andy mentions choices are limited for routers with integrated VDSL modems under £100. So probably best to stick with a two box solution.
If the Asus routers are too pricey take a look at TP-Link.
I use a TP-Link WDR3600 (and am currently using it on the YV trial, so know it handles multicast no problem) and would highly recommend it for the under £50 you can get it for now (I paid nearer £80 iirc)
shure
Grafter

If you don't need the latest greatest then you can get e.g. the Asus RT-N56u (router only) for £66.  It's got pretty good reviews.  If you want one with a VDSL modem built in, then I think you need the next model up, (DSL-N66u) which boosts the price to an impressive £116 - you'd need to chew an awful lot of electricity to make that pay for itself!
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You could try a Talk Talk super router HG635.
Don't know if it works with the Vodafone Sure Signal but it meet all your other requirements.
£30 to £40 from a on-line auction site.
Some details here: http://npr.me.uk/hg635.html
Daydotz
Dabbler

Another recommendation for the WDR3600  the 2 TG582N  I've got suffer with wifi  problems with apple products
SONiQz
Dabbler

Hey,
Well I bit the bullet and got the TL-WDR3600..... So far it seems to do the job without any hassles which is always a bonus! I have found an odd issue though. With previous routers I have simply pointed to them for primary DNS and that has allowed all the devices to be resolved by hostname. However I have found that this doesn't seem to be the case. Does it not have a built in DNS Resolver (like DNSMASQ or BIND)? I am sure there is a way around it but it's just not clear as to how I would change things without having another machine as a DNS server.
Any help?!