cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Fibre Router

footeandrew

Alternative Fibre Router

Hello all,
I am a brand new Plusnet customer (2 weeks old) and have just moved from Sky normal broadband to Plusnet Fibre.
I have been supplied, and they have connected, the Technicolor TG585v8 Router along with the BT little white box. The speed is good however the coverage is very poor around my house and I see from other posts that this is down to the router.
So I am now looking for a new router and have a couple of questions I am hoping someone might be able to help me with:
1. Any suggestions? I've heard the Asus N66U is talked about quite highly, are there others?
2. Is there anything in particular I need to make sure the new router has before I buy it?
Your help is appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Alternative Fibre Router

Hi there and welcome to the community forum!
Yes, you'll notice a few regulars on community singing the praises of the Asus N66U router. Although we're unable to recommend an alternative to the router we supply there are  lots of others available and you'd just need to make sure that the one you chose is fibre compatible as some routers currently available only cater for an ADSL connection.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
footeandrew

Hi Adam,
Thank you for your reply.
Is there any particular phrases I should look out for. Sorry not quite up to speed on the technical pieces of Fibre as of yet.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

You specifically need a router with 'Ethernet WAN' and PPPoE authentication, as long as you have these you can choose from a vast range starting around £20 (or less) and going up to several hundred pounds (better wi-fi, more features etc. on the expensive ones).
Most routers described as 'cable routers' will meet the requirements, there are a few available that also incorporate a VDSL modem so you can also remove the BT modem (officially the BT modem is 'part of the FTTC service' but other devices have been proven to work (though none will likely give better sync speeds but at least you can see line stats)).
I have been using a Fritz!Box 7390 for nearly a year now with no issues.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I use the Asus RT-N56U which is a cheaper alternative to the 66. It's also dual band & it works really well for me with excellent coverage throughout a large, 4 bedroom house. It was incredibly easy to set up & firmware updates are easily installed.
I'm afraid that I'm not savvy enough to explain the differences between the 56 & 66.  Huh
footeandrew

Thank you both, I think I will look for either the 56 or the 66 as it has some good reports.
Thanks for your help.