cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost un usable in the evenings

msjhes2
Hooked

Almost un usable in the evenings

Hi,  I have been with plus net for nearly 10 years and in the last fortnight my broadband has become almost un usable in the evenings.  It has never been super fast about 2Mb/s but for the last fortnight I still get 2Mb/s download during the day but in the evenings it drops to 0.1 to 0.2Mb/s.  This is lower than the 0.4Mb/s upload speed.
I'll try and attach the speedtests but does anyone have any idea what is causing this?
Cheers
Mark
12 REPLIES 12
thejudge
Rising Star

Re: Almost un usable in the evenings

Monitor your SNR from just before it all goes south to when it's in the bad patch. That might give a clue.
Also, has your internal wiring (that is, from the BT master socket to the router/PC) been changed recently?
msjhes2
Hooked

No nothing has changed at the house end.  I'll have a look at the SNR.
englishrick
Grafter

I think it is happening to all of us mate, I'm on Fibre and like you say come the evening (PEAK TIME)  it goes down to 1.5Mb - 7Mb, that's from 70-75Mb (OFF PEAK) Here's my thread

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122054.0.html
msjhes2
Hooked

Having read through the linked thread I have looked up the exchange and can see my exchange had a fault at about the time my internet started to struggle.
: HALE MSAN 301 : DEGRADED SERVICE  - Tideswell Exchange.  The report says the problem was fixed but it looks a bit suspicious to me.
englishrick
Grafter

Yeah, they also said mine was fixed as well of which it clearly is NOT... (ALSAGER/KIDSGROVE)
dick:quote
msjhes2
Hooked

speedtest attached
thesawdust
Grafter

Quote from: englishrick
I think it is happening to all of us mate, I'm on Fibre and like you say come the evening (PEAK TIME)  it goes down to 1.5Mb - 7Mb, that's from 70-75Mb (OFF PEAK) Here's my thread

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122054.0.html

It's not happening to me, just noticed latency spikes during peak hours.
msjhes2
Hooked

bb speed during the day
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@msjhes2
The slowdowns in the evening aren't due to exchange issues or a fault on your line. You're on an old product and have exceeded the usage allowance, hence being restricted between 4pm and Midnight.
Your usage will reset on your next billing date, however I'd strongly suggest taking a look at the products we currently offer as they are much more likely to be suited to your needs and may save you some money.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Surely the user should have received emails about this (exceeding the usage)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I don't think that's happened on Broadband Plus for a while (at least since we increased the usage allowance from 4GB to 10GB).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
msjhes2
Hooked

I may have been an idiot and not realised I had hit my download limit for the first time in 10 years, but on the plus side the plus net engineers looked at my account and have increased my speed from 2Mb/s on a good day 5.9Mb/s. 
So a big well done to the tech support guys.  Many thanks