cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All-in-one modem/router for Fibre

Logicearl
Dabbler

All-in-one modem/router for Fibre

I've just moved on from adsl to unlimited fibre, and want an all-in-one solution, if its possible.
I have at my disposal a Billion 7800DXL and a Fritz!box 7390. Are any of these capable pf replacing the BT openreach modem?
TIA
8 REPLIES 8
AndyH
Grafter

Re: All-in-one modem/router for Fibre

The Fritz!box 7390 should work as a replacement for the Openreach modem.
Logicearl
Dabbler

Ok, thanks. So, just to clarify, I can replace the supplied openreach modem, and supplied plusnet router with just this Frizt!box?
If so how would one cable it up, and I would presume certain settings would need to be changed?
I take it then that the billion would not work, as a stand-alone modem/router?
TIA
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I've been using a Fritz!Box 7390 for well over a year now on Plusnet FTTC without the BT modem (that's stored away safely just in case it's ever needed).
I've posted instructions somewhere on here previously but I can advise if anyone needs help with this device.  The main thing with any third party modem-router on FTTC is o set the VLAN id to 101.
Cabling-wise, the F!B comes with a special 'splitter cable' as it has both Telephone and DSL functions, there are versions with different cables - the proper UK version has the exact cable required to simply connect to the telephone and DSL sockets on the FTTC faceplate, other versions are supplied with (or require) adapters.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Logicearl
Dabbler

Fritz!Box it is then. Had a look on the AVM site and listed in the latest firmware update, is this, "Ready for vectoring", which is interesting.
w23
Pro

Currently on firmware 'Fritz!OS 06.03', has both 'G.Inp' and 'G.Vector' enabled, just waiting 'til BT Openreach decide to enable either at their end (if they ever do).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Logicearl
Dabbler

I have a static ip address from PN, where does one input that into the FB ? I've looked, but cannot see where it goes!
w23
Pro

You don't  Wink
The IP is 'Static' at PN's end, as far as the F!B (or any other router you might connect) it's still treated the same as a dynamic address (it just happens that PN always allocate the same address).
[Edit] If it helps, here's my old post on connecting the F!B7390 to PN FTTC (VDSL): http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113332.msg974413.html#msg974413 the firmware has been update since that post but the connection procedure is the same (I don't think it 'forgets' the PPPoE setting any more though).
Call me 'w23'
Logicearl
Dabbler

Aha! Ta very much.