Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All PC's running slow

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: All PC's running slow

To attach pictures select additional options at the bottom of your reply and you see this
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Short of getting BT to shift the master socket the only thing we can do is to see if your internal wiring can be improved.
If you could post a picture of the first socket we might have a better idea.
Also if you can remove the faceplate from the first socket and post a picture of the internals that would be very helpful
Rourkefamily
Grafter

The first picture is the junction box. 
Second picture is the first socket opened
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Can you manage a picture of the inside of the front plate.
Do you have a phone you can try in the socket behind the front plate - there should be a dial tone.
If that is the case it would appear that all the other sockets in the house are daisy chained off the front plate.
As you are using the wireless connection would it be possible to try the router off the socket behind the front plate and report the stats
This should give an indication of what we can achieve by sorting out the internal wiring.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

One thing Jim didn't ask you to check - when you've opened up the master socket as you've shown in your photo and confirmed it has a dial tone, could you see if there is a dial tone on any other telephone socket in the house - there shouldn't be.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Hi Folks,
Sorry for the slow reply. Busy and away for a few days  Roll_eyes
Anyway. I have tried the picture the inside of the back plate. The attached is the best of a very bad bunch.
I think the dialing tone bit is confirmed as when I opened the socket I cut off the Mother-in-law talking to the Wife  Grin
Before I went away, I took the whole PC out to the main socket and plugged it in and basically got the same speeds shown below.
ADSL Link                  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 1728 kbps         448 kbps
Line Attenuation         47 db                 14.5 db
Noise Margin         12 db                 23 db
Interesting today when we came back after our break, the web was really slow and the stats showed it back to 252. This time I reset the modem, as well as unplug the modem and power down the PC. This has brought it back to 1792 kbps. Still a long way short.
Hope I have answered some of the questions.
Any further suggestions?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi,
Yes, a few more queries and some suggestions. First, when you say you took the PC and plugged into the master, was that the test socket as indicated by Jim in reply #8 ? If not, it's results from there that are of primary interest.
OK next your picture.
Unfortunately, that's a picture of the back of the rear plate rather than the front plate. It's the rear of the front plate we need to see and I'm afraid it needs to be clear enough to see the wires and their colours.
Could you confirm how many extension sockets you've got. I'm interpreting what you've said as only the one. Can you also confirm what you've got plugged into each socket normally, including type of phone - corded/cordless. What type of filters are they? (please describe if no marks).
Do you have a spare corded phone (a modern(ish) one with a tone ringer - not a bell), a spare filter, access to another modem/router?
Can you have a listen to your phone line - can you hear any crackling or other intermittent noises?
Rourkefamily
Grafter

I moved the PC back to the main socket and have pluged in to the point on the inside of the socket. The results are much better but still short of 4000.
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 3648 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 49 db 14 db
Noise Margin 11 db 23 db
I have attached a picture of the inside of the front plate. Still out of focus. It seems the best I can get and I think the colour of the wires are clear enough. It also shows where the Modem is plugged into. There were three wires just hanging loose not connected. Green with white spots, two white wires, one with green spots and one orange spots. I think you should be able to see these reasonably clearly in the picture. Is this correct?
As for the number of sockets in the house, there are loads. I think about eight. Only one is used though. This is the one with a spliter with a cordless base station pluged in as well as the modem.
When I switched on to the usual plug in point this morning, settings were back to 252! Unplugged the modem and plugged back in and got it back to about 2800. Don't know how relative it is but last thing last night downstream noise went very high. Don't have the exact number, but it was into six figures  Shocked
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Plugged back in to the usual location here are the readings
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 1760 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 48 db 14.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 23 db
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Which says that the problem is the extension wiring in your property.
Anotherone will no doubt come back with more detailed and better advice but one quick fix is to move the cordless base station and the router to the test socket and run everything from there.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
Which says that the problem is the extension wiring in your property.

Definitely. I can see the ring wire is connected even though the picture is out of focus.  Sad
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Thanks Folks.
Can I ask why if I plug into the front of the Master Socket, I get around 1800 and when I plug into the inside of the Master Socket I get 3600?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Because plugging into the inside of the master socket isolates all your internal wiring whereas plugging into the front doesn't as your internal wiring is connected to the removable front plate so when you take it off it removes the connection to the incoming phone wires
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hello again.
The results from the test socket give a clearer picture, and indicate a wiring issue to resolve as has already been explained. The low sync speed events may have a different cause which should become clearer as we work through the problems.
As swapping about, checking wiring etc will or is likely to cause loss of sync, it's adviseable to switch off your modem/router and wait preferably several minutes before unplugging the master faceplate, the filters, line etc. This is to avoid the exchange DLM thinking you have an intermittent connection problem, raising the target SNRM resulting in lower sync speeds.
The most obvious thing which should result in some improvement is disconnecting the bell wire (the orange one) from terminal 3 on the master faceplate.  As it is an IDC terminal, just remove it by gently pulling it vertically from the terminal. Just group it with the other wires that are not connected and coil them slightly and tuck them back out of the way so that they can't come into contact with any terminals or connections.
Be very careful not to pull out or break the blue pair going to termninals 2&5.
(It's also worth noting here, that as you Master LineBox is one of the eartliest versions it's not compatible with the i-plate.).
In a broadband situation only the blue pair connected to terminal 2&5 are required. Filters (that meet BT spec. SIN346) recreate the bell connection for those (generally older) instruments that need it.
As for the number of sockets in the house, there are loads. I think about eight. Only one is used though. This is the one with a splitter with a cordless base station plugged in as well as the modem.

You are going to need to work methodically and trace the wiring from the master through to each and every socket. As you go to each socket, look at the connections and remove any wires from terminals 3&4. If at any time you are unsure about anything, take a picture and post it.
Describe the wiring route as you go - eg. Master to Study to Kitchen to Bedroom 1 etc. The sockets may be all series (chained) wired or there may be some spurs (star wired) from one or more sockets. If you find anything else plugged in or wired-in anywhere state/describe what it is.
I asked earlier, if you could answer -
Do you have a spare corded phone (a modern(ish) one with a tone ringer - not a bell), a spare filter, access to another modem/router?
Can you have a listen to your phone line - can you hear any crackling or other intermittent noises?