cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All PC's running slow

Rourkefamily
Grafter

All PC's running slow

Hi Folks. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Sorry if the answers are on the help page, but I have looked and got some info. Seems to tell me things are OK  Embarrassed
We have two desktops, both hardwaired and two laptops, one hardwired one wireless. We have noticed a big drop off in the speed of the internet connection on all computers. For example, if you go to the BBC website, pictures appear 'dial up' style slowly appearing in about four stages.
I have followed the checks on the Blog entry sticky. Results are
Your DSL connection rate: 1472 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 116 kbps

Current line speed is 1250
Checked my BT exchange and iy is OK.
I have unplugged the modem and restarted after about 20 minutes and no difference.
All PC's are running XP and the Modem is a Netgear DG834G
Any ideas why all PC's would tun slow?
28 REPLIES 28
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: All PC's running slow

IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
This is why - at some point in the near past your router must have resynched at a very low value indeed - less than or equal to 256kbps
Can you provide full router stats - speeds, noise margin and attenuation - if you don't know how to get them have a look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
If you don't have another low sync it should recover within 3 days
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

A bit quicker if that sync is maintained as it's a large % increase. Did anyone plug anything in that's not filtered or something like a sky box that's not filtered?
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Sad Can't get passed the password screen. Tried all th password and letter case combinations without success
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
A bit quicker if that sync is maintained as it's a large % increase. Did anyone plug anything in that's not filtered or something like a sky box that's not filtered?

A Wii
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Can't get passed the password screen.

Default username = admin, password = password
Did anyone plug anything in that's not filtered or something like a sky box that's not filtered?

A Wii

I didnt think Wii's had telephone connections ?
Anotherone means did anyone plug anything into the telephone system, 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Got in thank you  Smiley
ADSL Link                  Downstream          Upstream
Connection Speed 192 kbps                 448 kbps
Line Attenuation         47 db                         14.5 db
Noise Margin         15 db                         22 db
Oldjim
Resting Legend

My first thought is that someone has plugged an unfiltered phone, Sky Box, etc. as that sync speed is stupid.
Did you just reboot the router or was it left running since yesterday. If you didn't reboot please do so and report back
Oldjim
Resting Legend

While you are doing that can you advise - do you have a standard BT master socket.
If you do can you connect the router to the test socket with nothing else connected - see picture and report the results of that
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Final question until you come back with some answers.
When you say you connected a Wii did you do this using the wireless on your router or some other way
Rourkefamily
Grafter

I can't think of any reason to plug in an unfilters phone recently. An old phone was plugged in a long time ago (about three months) but it soon got unplugged with it rang  ;D. We don't have Sky. I could afford the divorce  Wink
When you say reboot, is this unplug for a while and then plug back in, or the 'pin in the hole' reset at the back of the modem? I have not done either in the last 24 hours.
The modem has never been plugged in the Master Socket (I am calling the Master the first socket from the old style junction box from which the early phones were hard wired).So while I don't use the Master Socket, this is not a change factor.
The Wii is connected wirelessly. Has been for about a month. That said, the kids did register with something recently through the Wii to get access to additional games.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As you are using a Netgear you can disconnect and reconnect from the interface.
Connect to the router as before, select router status under maintenance then connection status at the bottom. This will give this popup and you can disconnect and reconnect from there.
Once you have done that report the stats.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Disconnect, no improvement. So disconnected, unplugged and rebooted and now getting this
ADSL Link                  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 1408 kbps         448 kbps
Line Attenuation         46 db                 14 db
Noise Margin         14 db                 21 db
If I understand correctly, that looks better  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It does look better but it is still a very poor result for your attenuation.
We are going to have to a bit of investigation as you should be getting speeds well over 4000kbps even with that noise margin.
Can you describe your telephone connections from the point where the line enters the house with photos if possible.
We are particularly interested in whether you have a master socket and what type
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Apologies for the file sizes.
As stated earlier, we have an old style hardwired 'junction box' from which a wire comes out and travels about two metres to a socket. This then feeds off to the rest of the house.
The layout of the house would not allow this first socket to be used. This forms part of a Granny Annexe.
Maybe the wiring could be re-routed to feed the socket where we have the modem?
Sorry, I don't know how to attach actual pictures. This link looks like a modern version of the junction box which probable dates from the 70's.

Socket looks like the one in your attachment