cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airport Extreme

philip_jones

Airport Extreme

Is there a reason anyone knows about as to why my airport extreme is no longer working with my plusnet broadband connection. The error message I get is that there is nothing connected to the WAN port, when there clearly is. I use a voyager 205.
Both the airport and the broadband (using voyager) work independently of each other. Nothing else has changed, they have just stopped working?
11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Airport Extreme

Does the voyager still have the DSL light lit? Have you checked the connection settings are still as they should be in the voyager?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
philip_jones

Yes, the DSL light is still lit.
Like I say the Voyager still works correctly when plugged straight into my computer.
Chris
Legend

Odd, have you changed any firewall settings on the Airport or has it updated the firmware at all?
Does the airport have a feature to ping out? If so can it ping the voyager?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
philip_jones

I haven't changed anything. I will check on the ping, but my hunch is that the voyager and the Airport are no longer "talking" to each other. I was wondering if one or the other had become obsolete, and whether I should just upgrade my hardware.
Chris
Legend

Out of interest is there a specific reason you have chosen to have a router and modem separate?
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

When you say Airport Extreme, are we talking about a base station or just an Airport Extreme card for your mac?
Forgive my ignorance, but is the voyager just a modem and the base station (if used) the wireless transmitter?
It could be your airport card that's stopped working, hence the two still work separately.
I guess at worst, you could replace both with one Broadband Router/Modem device.
How about the ethernet cable between the two (I assume that's what connects them). You could try another cable just to see if it's that that's at fault.
philip_jones

To Chris,
Nope, no particular reason, this is just what my IT department supplied me with. Are you saying that I could just plug the dsl cable from the telephone straight into the Airport?
philip_jones

To Beetroot Bertie,
Happy to replace it with something that works, yes. Can you recommend a single Broadband Router/Modem device.?
James
Grafter

I happily use a Netgear DG834G with my Windows Desktop and my iBook.
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

I use a netgear too, a DG834GT wireless modem/router.
I've had it for about 20 months and no real probs except some minor setting up and learning about port forwarding to open up some ports for xbox live etc.
Chris
Legend

Speedtouch 585  Grin
Great router, can be picked up for quite cheap too if you know where to look Wink