cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airport Express set up

kmac

Airport Express set up

Hi.
I chose the "use own router" option, intending to use Plusnet with an Airport Express.  I could not get the latter set up properly, using the Airport Utility, before the switch-over from broadband service.  (The Airport's amber flashing light never changes to green).  I read that the Express can be used as a base station, not just an extender.  How can I connect the Plusnet service to the Express (without having to wait for 5 days before a Plusnet router arrives by 2nd class post).  The DSL modem from my previous service no longer works, but I should be able to set up the Express as a stand-alone router, right?
Is there a website that sets how to input the right settings manually? I've looked on the plusnet website and it refers to PPPoA settings.  I can only find "PPPoE" settings using the airport utility.  I tried recording the correct DNS, but that won't do much on its own.
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense.  I'm not familiar with the process and have to use the terminology without understanding it.
Very grateful for any help.  Smiley
13 REPLIES 13
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Airport Express set up

the Airport Express does not have a built-in modem, so you can't use that on it's own to connect to any ADSL product.
you will need a standalone DSL modem to use along with the airport express.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The DSL modem from my previous service no longer works
What make/model is it ? it may just require some reconfiguration

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kmac

It's a BT home hub that will not work because I no longer have a contract with them (yippee).
chenks76
All Star

if it's a homehub 2 or 3 then you can use it with plusnet.
just needs the user/pass changed to your plusnet one.
kmac

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH  Thankyou.  I'll try and work out how to do that.
chenks76
All Star

kmac

Thanks for that. 
I can't connect to the router.  It's a BT home hub 2 and the "broadband" light, 2nd down, which should be blue, stays red.
I'm connecting via a dongle at the moment.
The plusnet instructions say "connect your computer to the router and then (go to the address given)", but I can't do that, as it does not connect to the internet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You will still be able to connect to the router. Just follow the instructions

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kmac

I cannot connect to either of those addresses.  With the http address I get "cannot connect to server" and with the IP address nothing happens.
chenks76
All Star

factory reset it then, that should put it back to standard settings.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Have you tried factory resetting the Home Hub ?
Edit: chencks beat me to it...

kmac

Thanks both. I did that x2.
kmac

Thank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank you
Cheesy
(I did it).