cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AirPort Extreme

Topfry

AirPort Extreme

Hi, I've just upgraded to fibre unlimited with a line estimate of 36Mb, and the supplied router isn't too far off the estimate, which judging by a lot of the posts is fortunate...
But having read some comparisons between the supplied router: the technicolor 582 and the 5th gen AirPort Extreme I already own, it would seem on the face of it that the Tech is a fairly bog standard single band router and the AE should be able to match or outperform it. However I can only achieve  around half the wireless speeds on a g network with the AE as the tech, and worse on my n network. I use WPA2 personal security, but so does the tech. Does anyone know of any settings I may be missing, or should I just stick with the tech? I'm literally just swapping the routers out , and have tried rebooting everything and hot swapping and there is a definite drop in wireless speed, although on paper the AE looks better?
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: AirPort Extreme

Are they both on the same wireless channels? Might be worth switching those if they are, as that should allow each one to run as fast as it can (unless they weren't both on at the same time)?
Topfry

Hi,
No they aren't on at the same time, I was just comparing their relative speed. I just would rather use the better router with the line's optimum speed.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

What happens when you run it wired to AE?
Maybe turning 582n wifi off and see what happens.
Also you may want to completely get rid of 582n as not needed when you have AE.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Topfry

That's exactly what I wanted to do , just use the AE, but speeds on the tech wireless for some reason are better.
Over Ethernet the speeds are identical so it's something to do with the wireless, which is where the AE is supposed to have the advantage (dual band more antenna). I'm using WPA personal on both, and everything else looks the same...
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I use an airport extreme and can manage these speeds:

Do you have a 5GHz chipset in your PC?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Topfry

Yep - mainly using an ipad 2 and tested on both routers,