cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Again no internet access. Is this becoming a habit?

brennanthurston
Grafter

Re: Again no internet access. Is this becoming a habit?

True.

Haven't had any problems today.

I'll chat to my next door neighbours what suppliers they're with and/or if they have some "particularly powerful" connection....Thought this shouldn't make any difference with a cable....

The problems seem to start later in the day i.e. when people are back home.

Difficult....

Edit 18:50

Here we go again, drop out/in/out. At least 8 WiFi connections around. Will try cable.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi @brennanthurston I see you haven't posted for a few days, have the problems been resolved?

I also note that no-one said welcome to the forum when you first posted, so welcome Wink

If you are still have problems, then although it's likely to be somewhat inconvenient, you need to concentrate on connecting via an ethernet cable BUT make sure the wireless is turned off! because even though you have plugged in a cable the connection can sometimes remain on wireless.

Once you've done that, then if you are still seeing issues then it could be a couple of problems which aren't related to your connection to the exchange actually dropping.

The first is errors, as previously mentioned by @Chris, but I would have thought he would have posted back if he was still concerned about that.
The second is other usage on the connection. You don't have an especially fast connection unfortunately, so it would be possible for other things/users to be almost saturating the connection giving you issues with browsing or what ever. Some more detail on how you are actually experiencing this out/in/out problem may be helpful, what you were actually trying to do at the time.
Things to consider

• Any other users in your household connected and what are they doing? eg. downloading, uploading, streaming, just browsing etc
  • If using Windows 10 Home, automatic updates can occur at anytime and this may hog the connection whilst they take place
  • If you have any Apple software, eg. iTunes etc., this can also do a lot of automatic updating at various times and again possibly hog the connection.
  • Do you have any automated back-up to a Cloud facility? That again can cause issues with the downstream if the upstream is saturated.
  • Any Torrent software that maybe making considerable use of the connection?

If you are still having problems with an ethernet connection and the wireless turned off, then those are a few things worth checking on.
I would have thought that had the issue been related to large amounts of data uploading then @Chris might comment as he's usually pretty good at spotting those.

Anyway hope that's all of some help.

brennanthurston
Grafter

@Anotherone

Thanks for all the info which is completely lost on me since I hardly understand one thing of what you're telling me. But never mind. No, I don't do clouds, never have, never will. Don't trust them.

We had some drop outs over the last couple of days. It looks like I have to reconnect every 3-4 hours though it says "auto-connect".

Right now I am having problems, with no other laptop or gadget running.

I heard some ad on the radio about "the new BT" being the most powerful WiFi on the market and was wondering whether having some BT customers next to us might be the cause of my problems.

Anyway, I can manage for the time being and my next exams are another 3 months away. So no worries for the time being.

Thanks

Jule

brennanthurston
Grafter

Hurra, it's back....in....out....in....out......quite often within 30sec or less.

Worse than before.

Any explanation????Huh

Jule

archieleslie

I am having the same trouble and you have described the symptoms exactly even down to me missed a very important webinar session. I got the same run around of facts and figures but having spent over an hour on the phone (no connection via the broadband) I was told that I need a new router! £40, as the guarantee has now run out, or I could get one free if I sign up for another year. Very suspicious if you ask me. It all started on the 29th June and having to wait for 3 days for an engineer doesn't help and then to be told it is all OK but a few hours later it is at it again. Then another round of waiting three days etc etc.

Today has been an absolute nightmare of off / on / off and can't get anything done online. Just like you - fed up with the supposed service - and it appears that it is a Plusnet habit. Are you in the last six months of your contract by an chance?

brennanthurston
Grafter

No, quite the opposite. I am one of these highly welcomed and courted new customers.

I have to endure another 12 months. Signed up for 18 months, sounded like a good deal, now line rental is already going up. Switched from TT (if you think Plusnet is bad, they are the ultimate ....) when we moved last November.

I am most definitely NOT going to pay for a new router. I may end up with one, but FREE (already contacted a consumer helpline).

Why should I pay? I expect a decent service for my good money. Today was the worst day of all.

If only I could find a pattern to this nightmare.

I'm dreading the next exam sessions.

Jule

archieleslie

A week on and the situation is worse but Plusnet tell me that everything is acceptable. A max of 2Mbps download speed last week is now 0.83Mbps this week and perfectly normal says the Plusnet team whilst around me the area is getting 15Mbps!!! Can hardly get on the internet and when I do it disconnects frequently and a timed out message appears but still Plusnet says there are no connection problems and doesn't offer any other solutions. When I joined this Community Forum it was active, helpful and offered a lot of guidance, most of which I did not understand, but it all seemed like a lot of care and kindness was on offer. What happened? Has all the tech type people left? A look through the Community posts but all they show are a lot of complaints with very little support and help although there are a few still hanging in there. Can someone tell me which ISP they have all gone to as the only way to get my service back is to join them, even as it means paying the exit penalty. Cheaper that than missing my studies, and the potential failures, and that is what your faced with as well. Good luck with your exams even if it is not through Plusnet. I'm investigating another ISP and am in the process of following you and raised a complaint, politically in my case, as the Scottish Government has invested a lot of money to bring a faster broadband to my area and they say it is already available! - perhaps they should talk to Plusnet.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hello archieleslie. Your profile is showing you have made two posts, both in this thread, so I'm not sure when you joined, but I will assume not so long ago, and welcome anyway.

Well some of us are still around here offering help and advice from time to time albeit less frequently. I'm afraid a good few of us are totally cheesed off with this 'new forum software' which has so many bugs compared to our old SMF one, coupled with what now seems less support from Plusnet. In fact the irritation it's causing has even resulted in some of us bickering amongst ourselves Sad

That aside, let's see if we can help. I was going to reply to your previous post, but have been bogged down in a few things of my own, I hadn't got round to it.

If you can post some stats from your modem/router that would be a good start which will give us a feel for what sort of line you have. If you aren't sure how to do that, tell us which modem/router you are using and we should be able to advise how to get them. Also are you connected to it wirelessly or by ethernet?

By the way, whilst your problem may "appear" to be similar to brennanthurston, that one appears to be a wireless issue, whereas I'm assuming that yours is a connection to the exchange issue on the basis of the fact that Plusnet were sending an engineer - how did that go?

brennanthurston
Grafter

Nope, mine is not just a wireless issue.

After ca. 10 good days with only a few drop outs the horror is back. Both, wireless and with cable.

And: yes, I know I am stupid and Plusnet is great.

Jule