cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Again no internet access. Is this becoming a habit?

brennanthurston
Grafter

Again no internet access. Is this becoming a habit?

After a couple of days of half way decent internet access, I'm back on my 3G modem.

When is this going to stop? I pay for a service and I expect it to run smoothly.

I know customer service isn't great in the UK but this is beyond acceptable.

Jule

23 REPLIES 23
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Again no internet access. Is this becoming a habit?

Hi there,

I've just tested your line and there hasn't seemed to have been any dropouts (since you last posted anyway).

Are you using a wireless connection? Are you still having problems today?

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
brennanthurston
Grafter

There has been one drop out after another since I posted my complaint.

I am both, using wireless and cable and both connections are dreadful.

Just now it took 4 minutes for this page to load.

Horrible and just not fun.

Jule

brennanthurston
Grafter

Edit/Update:

The connection is getting worse and worse. I have to virtually crawl right into my modem when trying to use WiFi and can hear little Yorkshire miners shoveling bits and bites through the cable when connecting directly to the modem.

Quite honestly I have had enough of Plusnet doing me proud. And-of course- having to pay for a sub standard service.

If you can't fix my problems (yes, I HAVE reset etc.) give me some other suggestions of what to do or when I can leave Plusnet and switch to a decent supplier.

Jule

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your connection logs don't show anything amiss:

Your line estimates are:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5.5 -- 3 to 8 Available -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 5.5 Up to 1 3 to 8 Available -- --

And currently you're connected at:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 22.8 46.5
SNR Margin: 6.0 1.6
Errored Seconds: 0 280
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 2603466 40191013
Speed: 1176 6187

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 4544 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 3635
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 20700
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 54

Those stats don't look too bad at all, and mean you fall well within the estimate range for your line. The only thing of a slight concern is the Mean Time Between Errors is lower than I'd like, that's probably due to the SNR being low at 1.6. So what I'd like to do is increase that SNR, which will reduce the amount of errors. However it'll also reduce the speed very slightly, but may help improve the overall experience you're seeing.

This will take effect within the next few hours, if you continue to have problems after this I'd advise reporting a fault at https://faults.plus.net however from what I can see there is not a huge amount wrong with the line.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
brennanthurston
Grafter

Look, I'm NOT interested in your stats.

I am connected via cable at the moment and internet access keeps dropping in and out at the moment.

It's horrible, it's awful. I want this to finish asap.

Whatever you do, do it straight away.

Thanks

Chris
Legend

I am connected via cable at the moment and internet access keeps dropping in and out at the moment.

We are not seeing these drops, there have only been 3 or less in the last 72 hours, if you're seeing more than this it's not the line dropping out and it's worth double checking the cables you're using and that wireless is turned off on your machine so it's not trying to default to that.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
brennanthurston
Grafter

Whatever you did....IT WORKS!!!

At least for the time being.

Haven't had any drop outs since last night.

I am using all the original stuff that came with the modem. I anything but a techwizz and regard the internet (access) like my car. I know how to start it anything beyond this point simply doesn't interest me....

What I notice is that there is an awful lot of flashing going on even if I don't do one single thing.

Anyway....as long as it works it works.

Jule

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

OK great, well if you find that you are experiencing any further issues then please get in touch with us and we'll be more than happy to help. As for the flashing this means that the router is receiving data and your devices could be running background programmes gathering updates.

brennanthurston
Grafter

Hi, it's me again....

I hardly dare to say but I am again without internet access neither with WiFi nor cable. Right now I'm back on my 3G modem....

I have to do studies and online assessments and have to have a reliable connection. The last thing I can afford is the line to drop out right in the middle of an exam.

H E L P

Jule

Chris
Legend

We again are not seeing any disconnections, your current connection has been ongoing for One Day, 0:14:25

Testing your line is not showing any issues at all.

I'm struggling to see what the issue here is as there is nothing wrong I can see at all.

brennanthurston
Grafter

That is so weird.

As I say, I'm using my 3 Modem at the moment. as soon as I disconnect the moment I'm back to the stone age. Landline is working, though.....weird, weird weird.

What I notice when checking the WiFi is, that I have a whole list of connections available....another Plusnet, TalkTalk, BTWiFi, EE, Sky etc.....

Is it possible that I am virtually struggling with or against a massive WiFi/ hotspot pollution?

Edit: While I had no WiFi we didn't have any DAB reception either (didn't know that hubby just told me). Now I'm back on Wifi with 100% reception AND the radio is back on....helpful information?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You may want to download a WiFi analyser app, such as 'inSSIDer' but lots available, and look to see which channels your router is on, and move it to a lest congested one. It sounds like your WiFi is being blasted out by a more powerfull signal close by.

brennanthurston
Grafter

That's what I'm beginning to think.

Gosh, moving channel....sounds worse than moving to another continent, not?

Jule

Chris
Legend

If you're getting the same problem when using a cable and Wifi is switched off that wouldn't suggest changing channel would help though.