cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 6 months trouble free...ITS STARTED AGAIN !!!!!

welshviking
Grafter

Re: After 6 months trouble free...ITS STARTED AGAIN !!!!!

Well this house was bulit in 1989 and i did not move in till 2004 so i honestly do not know who fitted the sockets, whether it be British telecom or the muppet who built the house
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

netgear dg834gv3:
Do you have your PC with a fixed IP address or to get it from a DHCP server? The latter is the default.
If you do, after you have connected everything up reboot your PC. Then try browsing to http://192.168.0.1 if that works you are well on the way to getting that modem to work - it's just a case of going to the basic settings and putting in your user name and password.
The rest of the settings from AOL should be fine
jim:green link made clickable mod:end
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
welshviking
Grafter

I am honestly not sure if its a fixed ip address or a dhcp server
as for the link    http://192.168.0.1/ ; , just tried it now to see if it work but would not load....but then off course it may only load with the netgear router
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I suggest you just give it a try. The link will only work after you've rebooted the PC after connecting it to the Netgear Router
welshviking
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: welshviking
Thanks for all your help Jelv,  Just been outside and the main telephone cable enters the house through the wall at the side of the study then a cable goes through the wall from the front of the study along the front outside of the house to the front door then goes to the socket in the hall. So after all the main socket must be here in the study .

That gives us a possible solution. At the moment it's not correctly cabled because if the socket in the study was a proper master socket all the other sockets in the house would be disabled when the face plate was removed. At the moment the cable from there to the hall is connected inside the none removable part of the socket. This should be connected to the back of the face plate like the cable that goes to the garage and the socket in the hall should be a normal socket. As this involves fiddling about inside the socket it is a job that you are supposed to get BT to do - but the question is which cowboy set it up like that in the first place? Is it a recent or long standing job? If it was done by BT you should be able to argue that you are having problems with the broadband and they should correct the wiring they installed at no charge to you. Whether that has to be reported to BT as a voice fault (presuming you pay your line rental to them) or to PN as a ADSL fault I don't know.
Quote from: jelv
I suggest you try taking both split face plates off so that only the socket in the hall and the one in your study are working. Then use a splitter in your study with the router only and see if that gives you stability.

With what you've now discovered this test is well worth doing. If after half an hour it's looking stable and the router stats look good you could plug a phone in to the splitter so you are not without a phone. I'd like to see it like that for a day to check the stability.

I can do that no problem, when you say take the faceplate of in the study do you want me to put a standard filter into the test socket and run it like that, then add the phone 30 mins later if stable
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Yes exactly that.
Using the Netgear for testing has an advantage - it is a breeze to set up with RouterStats which will monitor the line.
welshviking
Grafter

Cheers just got you personal message, will try the netgear now
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: welshviking
Hpsauce you are obviously more experienced with this type of issues so i will keep on doing as i am told until we finally get there...Regards Colin

Jelv is giving you excellent advice, stick with it.  Wink
I'm not able to add any more, other than to agree with his analysis, so I'll probably keep fairly quiet.  Cheesy
As Jelv has said, it would be interesting, and maybe useful, to know who had wired all this up.
Though it's also worth pointing out that some "complex" phone wiring can actually be fine for use with telephones, it's only when you try to use them for broadband that you hit problems, so any remedies may well be 100% down to you.  Sad
welshviking
Grafter

Right on the netgear router now  both faceplates now disconnected as requested and put filter in main with only router connected

jelv
Seasoned Hero

On the Netgear Router Status page click the Show Statistics button. From that pop-up could you copy paste the second table in to a post please. It should look something like this:
ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 19 db 6.5 db
Noise Margin 10 db 16 db

Edit: Forget running the speed test for the moment. These are the figures we are really interested in at the moment plus how long it stays up with no disconnections.
welshviking
Grafter

ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 1824 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 32 db 10 db
Noise Margin 5 db 17 db
jelv
Seasoned Hero

As you've got the Netgear running could you download RouterStats now please. I've attached a sample of the noise margin graph it produces. That would be very useful to see.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Those figures are terrible - something is badly adrift as with that attenuation and noise margin you should have much higher speeds - over to jelv
Once you have Routerstats running this page may give some useful information
welshviking
Grafter

ok Routerstats downloaded and running
jelv
Seasoned Hero

1. The downstream sync speed in the BT speed test is 672 Kbps but the figures you've just posted show 1824 kbps - that must mean you've had another disconnection as the speed will only change on a disconnect.
2. Your 32db downstream attenuation suggests you should be syncing at around 7776.
Can you keep an eye on the WAN up time to see how often it is disconnecting. You should also see information in the Logs.
Your wiring is far from ideal, but as you are currently configured with only one test socket in use and all the others disabled, and getting similar results from different routers and filters it's almost certain that there is a fault on your line. Have you got a fault open with Plusnet - this needs to be a intermittent disconnections fault, not a speed fault I think.
I think we've got all the information for someone from the Comms team to step in now.
Something I'm not sure we've covered - how clear is your telephone when you use it - any background noise?