cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 6 months trouble free...ITS STARTED AGAIN !!!!!

welshviking
Grafter

Re: After 6 months trouble free...ITS STARTED AGAIN !!!!!

Speed is so slow today struggling to open most sites, Just had my 1st disconnection since i reset my router, here are all my stats this morning...Regards Colin

Telephone number:
   0124XXXXXXXX
Phone exchange:
   CONNAHS QUAY
Estimated line speed:
   4.0 - Checked on 2009-04-04 17:29:32
Current line speed:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 172 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2656 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:00
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,136
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 45.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 32.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo) personal phone number removed ]........Cheers for that Adie...having a bad day.....Colin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your connection is up and down like the proverbial (I note that on your router stats it had been up for one minute!)
You need to do as HPsauce recommended, plug the router in to a filter which is plugged in to the test socket inside the master socket (without any telephone attached) and see if that stays connected.
If is doesn't you need to get hold of another router to see if yours is on the way out.
Can you confirm that when you remove the filtered face plate to expose the test socket all the other phone sockets are dead please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
welshviking
Grafter

Ok faceplate removed and new filter plugged in with router attached . When i removed the faceplate and exposed the test socket with nothing attached all the other sockets in the house were still working
Sorry Kitchen and main bedroom still working but garage was dead !!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Right - two possibilities:
1) The socket you think is the master socket is not the master socket
2) The extensions are not correctly wired
(or both)
Is there another socket with a split face plate?
welshviking
Grafter

Always thought this was the main socket , there is another socket in the hall near to the front door we have never ever used, that has a normal faceplate on it, i will try unplugging it to see if everything gets disconnected ...Regards Colin
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If that has a removable lower half try using the test socket inside there and see if that kills all the other sockets. You should find that there are wire(s) connected to the back of the removable faceplate which go to the extensions. With luck there might only be one - you need to work out a diagram of how the sockets are connected.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As Jelv says, the master socket should be identifiable by the removable bottom half of the faceplate.
I've checked your fault and can still see a number of disconnections, however before we can do much more we need to make sure you have tested in the master socket. If we arrange an engineer and they find the fault is caused by your internal wiring, then it's not cheap unfortunately, they charge an aborted engineers fee of £144+VAT. Obviously we want to avoid this where possible hence asking for all the checks we do.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
welshviking
Grafter

Right the socket in the hall does have a split faceplate, i have just disconnected it and it kills the phones in the kitchen and the bedroom but the socket in the study (where my pc and another phone is plugged in) is still live, also the garage phone is still working...just to add the study is closest to the garage so i am guessing there maybe an extension lead (hidden away) running from the study to the garage. Also there is no way i can get my pc into the hall to try plugging into that socket as my pc is built into a cupboard in the study.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Let me be sure I have this right.
You have two sockets with removable lower halves.
The one in the hall has the kitchen and bedroom extensions wired from the back of the removable part.
The one in your study has the garage extension wired to the back of the removable part which is your filtered face plate.
Is that all the extensions (5 sockets in total)?
welshviking
Grafter

Yes 2 sockets with removable lower halves
1 in study seems to go to the garage (yes has filtered faceplate) when i disconnect this one it only kills the study and garage.
2 one by the front door (weird that i cannot see any extension coming from it apart from a cable which goes to another socket further up the hall ) but when you disconnect the faceplate it kills the kitchen and upstairs phones (never used the 2nd socket further up the hall which does have a standard faceplate on it)
so 6 in total as i forgot about the one further up the hall..and before you think i am going crazy..YES IT IS A BIG HOUSE hahaha
Just to add just had my screwdriver out and this is a rough description ..The socket by the front door (split faceplate) has 1 cable off  which goes to the one further up the hall (normal faceplate) that has a cable off  which heads towards the kitchen socket (normal faceplate) and that has one off which heads upwards so obviously goes to the only socket upstairs ......phew..i am going for a lay down
jelv
Seasoned Hero

This isn't good news.
I suggest you try taking both split face plates off so that only the socket in the hall and the one in your study are working. Then use a splitter in your study with the router only and see if that gives you stability.
Can you confirm that the master socket in the hall seems to be where the telephone cable enters the house from outside?
Is there any possibility of having the router near the hall socket and then running a long ethernet cable from that to the PC - long ethernet cables are not a problem (unless your house is so big that it would be over 100M Tongue )
welshviking
Grafter

Thanks for all your help Jelv,  Just been outside and the main telephone cable enters the house through the wall at the side of the study then a cable goes through the wall from the front of the study along the front outside of the house to the front door then goes to the socket in the hall. So after all the main socket must be here in the study .
Just to add i still think its a problem with my modem, would any modem do as i had a spare netgear dg834gv3 wireless one here but it was from my old AOL days and i cannot get the pc to recognise it and i have not got a disc with it so not got a clue how to set it up.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: welshviking
i still think its a problem with my modem,

I would strongly disagree with that based on my experience.
It is almost certainly a wiring/interference issue.
Until you can get the wiring sorted out and present a properly-isolated BT Test Socket for diagnosis activity it's just not worth investigating anything else.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: welshviking
Thanks for all your help Jelv,  Just been outside and the main telephone cable enters the house through the wall at the side of the study then a cable goes through the wall from the front of the study along the front outside of the house to the front door then goes to the socket in the hall. So after all the main socket must be here in the study .

That gives us a possible solution. At the moment it's not correctly cabled because if the socket in the study was a proper master socket all the other sockets in the house would be disabled when the face plate was removed. At the moment the cable from there to the hall is connected inside the none removable part of the socket. This should be connected to the back of the face plate like the cable that goes to the garage and the socket in the hall should be a normal socket. As this involves fiddling about inside the socket it is a job that you are supposed to get BT to do - but the question is which cowboy set it up like that in the first place? Is it a recent or long standing job? If it was done by BT you should be able to argue that you are having problems with the broadband and they should correct the wiring they installed at no charge to you. Whether that has to be reported to BT as a voice fault (presuming you pay your line rental to them) or to PN as a ADSL fault I don't know.
Quote from: jelv
I suggest you try taking both split face plates off so that only the socket in the hall and the one in your study are working. Then use a splitter in your study with the router only and see if that gives you stability.

With what you've now discovered this test is well worth doing. If after half an hour it's looking stable and the router stats look good you could plug a phone in to the splitter so you are not without a phone. I'd like to see it like that for a day to check the stability.
welshviking
Grafter

Ok just had the socket apart in the study, as i said the main cable comes in and a extension cable goes off to the socket in the hall by the front door, checked to see if all wires were securely fitted and all looked fine , Hpsauce you are obviously more experienced with this type of issues so i will keep on doing as i am told until we finally get there...Regards Colin
what i was trying to say was i had a spare router and could try that to see if it helped but completely stumped how to set it up, that is off course it will work with plusnet with it being an ex-aol router