Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise on changing broadband package please

newbec
Dabbler

Advise on changing broadband package please

Hi,
Ive been with plusnet since 2004 and am currently on one of the old payg packages with up to 8GB monthly allowance.
That costs me £19.49 per month. Although its quite easy some months for me to go over that allowance
Ive been looking at the current packages and option3 would give me 20GB per month for £19.99.
Now for the questions:
1) Would i be subject to any difference in traffic shaping on option3 compared to the legacy product that im on at the moment? My main uses are online gaming, web browsing, watching streaming vids on bbc i-player and u-tube and the like and a small amount of p2p downloading.
2) I currently have a fixed ip which is handy as i run a webserver. Is it possible to have a free fixed ip on option3?
3) Are there any other reasons why changing to option3 from my current package might be a step in the wrong direction with regard to speed restrictions etc?
Thanks for taking time to read this, ANY input would be greatfully received.
Regards,
Neil
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Advise on changing broadband package please

First, what is your product actually called as I can't think of any legacy products costing £19.49. It is detailed on the member centre under account settings -> account details.
Also are you on ADSL max or still on an old fixed speed product?
1) Peak time is 8am -> midnight on BBYW, your current product is probably 4pm -> midnight. Traffic management is slightly different but it depends on what your current product really is as to how different it may be. In many cases BBYW limits are better than the legacy products.
Details of what to expect can be found here and for legacy products here.
You can find a lot more info on the help & support pages.
2) Yes you can but make sure you let PN know you want to keep your static IP in a ticket.
3) None that I can think of.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Maybe there's a referral discount in there.................
Be3G
Grafter

Sounds to me like the old PAYG (2GB for £14.99) with an extra 6GB added at £1.50 per 2GB. As such, the peak times will be exactly the same on BBYW3 as on PAYG, but the traffic prioritisation won't be - having said that, the only effect that'll have will be on P2P downloads, which will be rate-limited between 12pm and 12am (refer to Peter's first 'what to expect' link for more details).
newbec
Dabbler

My current product is PlusNet Broadband Pay As You Go with included 8GB bandwidth
My apologies, i do have 1 referral discount so thats why the confusion over the monthly cost arose.
Neil
newbec
Dabbler

Thanks for the links Peter.
With regards to the restrictions imposed on the option3 package, excuse my ignorance, but what does download sites and download servers refer to? These seem to be quite highly traffic managed at peak times
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Sites like rapidshare which can often be used to distribute Software / other files so are restricted by PN to stop people using those sites to bypass the traffic management.
Be3G
Grafter

It is also worth adding to that that 'download servers' includes those that serve Windows/Mac OS updates.
newbec
Dabbler

Ahh i see.
So as Be3G replied, the manner in which i use my broadband connection should not see any diffrence at all apart the occasional p2p participation.
What about things such as PS3 game and firmware update downloads and suchlike? What category would they come under? WOuld they be download servers also?
Sorry for all the questions  Wink