cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice wanted setting up Broadband

Not applicable

Re: Advice wanted setting up Broadband

Hmm - having looked at the specification for the Dell 5150, it appears that it does indeed come with onboard NIC.
Its location is illustrated in the guide here http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/multlang/APCC_CCC/HG689cc1.pdf
Item #3
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

According to the (US) Dell site, the 5150 comes with an integrated 10/100Mbps ethernet connection as standard, which is part of the motherboard rather than an option provided by a NIC card to a PCI slot.
James_G got there first whilst I was looking for a link to post - must type faster, must get a faster computer and a faster connection
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Not applicable

My computer is very slow.
My internet is fairly rapid though.
My typing is OK, my correction of mistyped wirds [sic] is somewhat better. Wink
lavengro
Dabbler

Whoops !!
So sorry to have got you all at it.  My PC is in a very awkward place and it is very difficult to get to the back properly without taking all the cables apart.  Yes there is an ethernet connection there. Not easy to see whilst peering over the back at an awkward angle !!  Well  that does make things simpler !!  Before someone else says it " what a stupid woman " !!  Embarrassed
I would still be grateful about advice on setting up for downloading at night.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: James_G
I've bought a few hundred Dells over the years, and I have to say - I've never come across one that doesn't have an onboard NIC.

Obviously not been buying them that long then, or only business models.  Grin
However, as far as I can recall every model (domestic or business) sold within the last 3 or 4 years has a NIC on the motherboard.
The Dimension 5150 has "Networking: Integrated 10/100 Ethernet."
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If it is only downloading Windows updates http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

For help sheduling your updates, could you let us know a little more about what it is you are wanting to update?
Not applicable

Quote from: HPsauce
Obviously not been buying them that long then, or only business models.  Grin

Not so long - only since 1999, however you are right, only business models.
lavengro
Dabbler

Hi Again!!
My main problem at the moment is that I upgraded my Antivirus and Spyware programme to version 6 of Spyware Doctor from version 5 about 3 weeks ago.  When I came to run the initial smart update after downloading the new version,  it was so large a download that I just havn't been able to sucessfully download it on my Dial Up connection at all.  After several goes at it of several hours it just timed out or some of the data was lost.  As I havn't done a smart update for 3 weeks now, I expect it will be quite a large download now.  I suppose once I have got my Broadband connection sorted out, I could get up early in the morning and download it all so that it doesn't affect my monthly limit on OPTION 1. I don't leave my computer in hibernation, I always turn it off at the mains at night, so I suppose it is not much good for the updates to be scheduled at night  anyway unless I leave it on.  I have found the Automatic Updates in the Control Panel and read the advice about Setting them up now !!    Should be connected up soon just waiting for some cables to arrive.  Smiley 
puddy
Grafter

Dont forget dells web site  www.dell.co.uk
go to support section then choose the model number to make sure your runing all the latest drivers for your computer.
puddy
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

You should be able to shedule update download within the spyware program it's self, you could write a shutdown script and add it to your sheduled tasks so that you can leave your computer running when you go to bad and it will shutdown at a given time, say 2am.
so you can set the antispy program to download at 12:15 and pc to shut down at 2am no need to keep unsociable hours, like getting up at 6am  Wink
lavengro
Dabbler

Have got everything connected at last .  Smiley  Seems great at the moment such an improvement on Dial Up speeds !!  My head has got to catch up now;  I am used to making a cup of tea whilst waiting for the pages to be downloaded !!
It sounds a good idea to be able to time the computer to shut down at a certain time after updating everything, however
I am not sure how to write a ' Shutdown Script ' to add to the Scheduled Tasks.  I don't think I have anything in the scheduled Tasks, I just  try to remember to do routine maintenance regularly anyway.  Perhapes someone could give me some idea how to write a ' Shutdown Script ' .
Thanks for all the help so far