Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice sought for ADSL modem

MickKi
Grafter

Advice sought for ADSL modem

Hi All,
I am after an adsl modem and have found the Linksys AM200 as having the fewer negative reviews amidst the competition: Linksys Website
From what I can see it does not mention PPPoA, only PPPoE.  Would this work with my Metronet account?
What other modems (not routers) would you recommend?
--
Regards,
Mick
cp:green Text on URL tag shortened mod:end
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Advice sought for ADSL modem

The user guide says it supports PPPoA. Make sure you get a UK version though.
Is there a specific reason why you only want a modem? For less than the price, (around £25) you can get a really decent 2nd hand 4 port router from DSL Depot like the Speedtouch 546 which is also ADSL2+
MickKi
Grafter

Thank you Peter,
I found contradicting info on the web (some of the retailers e.g. Amazon only mention PPPoE) .  I was waiting to go to work to download the Linksys manual (don't want to exceed the monthly bandwidth limit  Wink  ) but didn't get a change to do that.
I have a professional grade Netvanta router by Adtran which it seems only supports PPPoE, not PPPoA.  Since I am not sure if I can use the modem in a bridge set up and do the authentication on the router, I thought of making sure that the modem can do both.
Given that the reviews I found were less positive for most other modems (netgear, Dlink, etc.) compared to Linksys AM200, I was ready to give it a go.  What other makes of modems are out there, when performance (reliability/availability/speed) is more important than price?  In terms of such performance how would you rank pure modems (without a router).  I am interested in people's experience, especially when the modem is left on continuously.
--
Regards,
Mick
paulby
Grafter

Have you had a look at one of these.
Draytek stuff is usually pretty good and this seems to do exactly what you want IIUC.
You can get them direct from SEG UK for £55 or from the likes of Broadband Buyer etc.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

@Mick,
We use Draytek almost exclusively for our business customers and they have proved to be very reliable and configurable so that is one I would recommend. The Vigor 2800 is the latest model which you can get with VOIP and VPN capabilities.
As for ADSL modems, there have been a few makes/models around in the past but they are pretty rare now with the all in one products being very cheap. They did suffer compatibility problems if used with other manufactures routers and it was more pot luck that it worked in some set-ups. Other problems involved the modems blocking ports they shouldn't have and the complication of router firewalls and IP assignments. If you intend to have multiple static IPs then some ADSL modems did not support that properly.
I have no knowledge of the modem you have quoted so don't know how compatible it is. I would though recommend an all in one unit for ease of set-up and configuration, it often leads to far less problems than having multiple separate units.
paulby
Grafter

@Peter Vaughan
Were you replying to the OP or to me? Smiley
I would concur with the Draytek kit (I have one 2800 and two 2600plus units at various places) - I've never had any issues with it - hence the recommendation of the Draytek modem.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It was to Mick.
MickKi
Grafter

Thanks guys!  Smiley
I remember reading a couple of reviews on the Draytek Vigor 100 and they were singing its praises.  I will look into this a bit more.
I only have one static IP and do not foresee changing this anytime soon.  I'd rather keep this router as it can do more than what I would possibly need (with vlans, trunking, spanning trees, QoS, and what have you) and mirrors devices that I work with in the States.
If I were starting with no devices at all I would no doubt opt for an all in one box (I've used a Netgear DG834 for some years now and have only minor complaints from it).
--
Regards,
Mick