cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please - thinking of changing to fibre

dragnil

Advice please - thinking of changing to fibre

Hi, I'm new to PlusNet after 10 years with Pipex and now successfully escaping from Talktalk. I've searched the site and can't find the answer to question so here goes - please keep it as simple as possible, I'm getting old and easily confused Wink
I'm thinking of upgrading to 40/10 fibre service when BT makes it available in a couple of months time. I really don't think I'll need the faster version, I'm not a gamer and do only a bit of iplayer although that may increase when it's easier. It's the mechanics of it that I'd like to clarify...
My understanding is that the man from BT changes the master socket and plugs a new modem into it. My existing router then plugs into that (?) and the rest of the network, printers, 3 Pcs and various wireless laptops work from the existing router. Is that OK so far?
The problem is, as for many people, the master socket is in the hall just inside the front door and the router, PCs, printers etc are upstairs in what I laughingly call a study. Running CAT5E downstairs looks difficult without upsetting the boss so I turned to powerline adapters as there's a power socket near the phone master socket. Is it as easy as connecting the new modem to an adapter and putting a second adapter upstairs and connecting the PN router to that?
If the concept is OK so far, can anyone comment on the TP-Link TL-PA411KIT 500Mbps Mini Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack on sale at ebuyer or do I need to consider the more expensive gigabit version?
I hope that's clear and thanks in advance for any suggestions and guidance.
David
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Advice please - thinking of changing to fibre

I'm thinking of upgrading to 40/10 fibre service when BT makes it available in a couple of months time. I really don't think I'll need the faster version, I'm not a gamer and do only a bit of iplayer although that may increase when it's easier
The 40/10 product ( Essential ) only comes with a 40Gb allowance so you may be better considering the Unlimited package just for the bandwidth allowance more than the potential higher speeds
My existing router then plugs into that (?)

Not quite, your existing router is probably a combined adsl modem/router and so you will need a router with an Ethernet WAN port (often referred to as a cable router). PlusNet will supply a suitable one if required.
Is it as easy as connecting the new modem to an adapter and putting a second adapter upstairs and connecting the PN router to that?
Yes, but make sure the Homeplugs can achieve the necessary throughput, particulary if you get 80/20 Fibre.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dragnil

Quote from: MisterW

Not quite, your existing router is probably a combined adsl modem/router and so you will need a router with an Ethernet WAN port (often referred to as a cable router). PlusNet will supply a suitable one if required.
Thanks, another one for the collection!
Is it as easy as connecting the new modem to an adapter and putting a second adapter upstairs and connecting the PN router to that?
Yes, but make sure the Homeplugs can achieve the necessary throughput, particulary if you get 80/20 Fibre.
Can you explain please, what would the necessary throughput be?

Excuse my cack-handedness using the quotey bits...
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Just wondered if there is scope for a relocated master socket as described here if you get an equally helpful BTOR engineer.
David
dragnil

Wow, that's amazing, could I dare hope for similar service...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi dragnil,
Looks like your questions have been answered but feel free to give me a shout if you have any more questions or concerns.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Can you explain please, what would the necessary throughput be?

Well, on an 80/20 connection, you should allow for a throughput of up to 80Mbps.  Some of the homeplugs advertised as 200Mbps may in fact under some circumstances only achieve < 50Mpbs and therefore would be limiting the maximum speed obtainable and you may need 500Mbps homeplugs to achieve maximum speed. It really depends on what speed YOUR Fibre connection could achieve and that depends mainly on how far you are from the cabinet. When Fibre becomes available the BT Wholesale checker should give you an estimate. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dragnil

Many thanks, that's a lot clearer now. I'll wait to see what speed they predict and take it from there.