cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please: should we replace modem/router?

m063
Grafter

Advice please: should we replace modem/router?

Hi,
My neighbour (one of my referrals) called me yesterday to say his Plusnet broadband connection was down. I noticed he had terrible crackling on the BT phone line & decided to report a voice fault.
Openreach engineer came on site this afternoon and spent over an hour investigating. Eventually replaced the BT master socket & said he THOUGHT it was fixed, then left.
All seemed well for a while until my neighbour noticed his broadband connection was intermittent.
Checked the modem/router (Linksys) and saw that it was losing DSL connection.
Checked the phone line and noticed there was a hissing noise. Powered off the Linksys and hissing stopped. Powered on, then when DSL light came on, hissing started again.
We've swapped the microfilter (Adslnation XF-1E) and also the phone.
Haven't yet reported a fault to Plusnet.
I wondered if you thought it wise to replace the router?
The Linksys is old (I think from 2006).
My neighbour is on BBYW Option 1.
Would Plusnet provide a new router with this product?
Thanks
Martin
4 REPLIES 4
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Advice please: should we replace modem/router?

Hi Martin,
Have you tried both the Phone and Broadband in the <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml">Test Socket?</a>
From the sounds of it, it could be an issue at your Local Exchange, however, before investigating with an engineer, I would certainly try an alternative microfilter in the Test Socket. At least this way we can rule out it being an issue with any broadband/phone equipment beforehand.
We can of course supply a new router for you, you have two available options:
Purchase:
You can purchase a Wireless Router for £40 - It's then yours.
Deferred Contract:
If you would be happy to stay with us for a further 12 months, we can send you out a new Wireless Router, the only charge being £4.99 for the P&P. (If you were to leave within the 12 months, you would be liable for the charge of the router, £40)
I hope this helps. If you've any questions, just pop a reply on here Smiley
m063
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Have you tried both the Phone and Broadband in the <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml">Test Socket?</a>

Well we did try it in the test socket before we reported the original voice fault, but not for the subsequent hissing and disconnection problem. I'll try that tomorrow.
And I've found I've got a spare modem/router (Netgear DG834) we can use, so I'll hold on ordering one from Plusnet.
Thanks
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

That's great. If you could test this, then we can narrow down as to where the fault is exactly.
If the issues continue in the Test Socket, then my advice would be to go ahead and <a href="http://faults.plus.net">Raise a Fault</a>
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: m063
Openreach engineer came on site this afternoon and spent over an hour investigating. Eventually replaced the BT master socket & said he THOUGHT it was fixed, then left.

I had the opposite experience on my line at work.  I reported a fault on the line which gave intermittent crackling and spikes in the broadband noise that sometimes caused disconnects.  The OpenReach engineer came the next day (so much better service on a business line), could not find the fault but replaced the old Master Socket with a new one.  And the line has been perfect for the six days since, no audible noise and no noise spkes on the broadband.  But the OpenReach engineer left thinking he had not been able to do anything because the problem was not manifest.